World of Warcraft Overview
World of Warcraft is one of the premier subscription MMORPGs, and has helped spread the entire genre into mass markets across the globe. Players enter the world of Azeroth, a fantasy realm of swords and sorcery, exotic races, mystical creatures, world turmoil, high adventure, and war. Created by Blizzard Entertainment, and based on the Warcraft series of RTS games first released in the mid 1990s, WoW expanded on the early Warcraft single player franchise and is now a vibrant multiplayer world, where players may engage in roleplaying, PvE, PvP, dungeon instances, battlegrounds, arenas, and raids.
Azeroth paid a terrible price to end the apocalyptic march of the Legion's crusade -- but even as the world's wounds are tended, it is the shattered trust between the Alliance and Horde that may prove hardest to mend. As this age-old conflict reignites, join your allies and champion your faction's cause -- Azeroth's future will be forged in the fires of war.
WoW has received eight different expansions so far, including The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria, Warlords of Draenor, Legion, Battle for Azeroth, and Shadowlands that launched most recently in 2020. The next expansion Dragonflight was announced in April 2022 and will explore the region of the Dragon Isles.
- Massively Multiplayer & Online | Join thousands of other players online at any given moment, creating a world that’s full of life and action.
- Roleplaying | Take a race, a class, and a set of skills, and mold them into a personality that transcends the games’ mechanics.
- Warcraft Universe | Enter into a world with a legacy of more than fifteen years of epic storytelling.
- Persistent Online Personae | Create up to fifty characters who grow with each game session. As characters advance in level, so do their skills, weapons, armor, equipment, locations discovered, monsters defeated, NPCs met, quests completed, and adventures had, all with no worry of ever reaching ‘the end’.
- Magic, Mystery, and Adventure | At the core, WoW is about obtaining and completing quests, of which there is no shortage to be found. NPC quest givers may be found throughout Azeroth, from busy city streets, to dungeons, battlegrounds, raid locations, to out in the open world.
FACTIONS & RACES
- Horde | Once they were the ‘bad guys’ in the Warcraft RTS games; now they are a powerful faction made up of the Orc, Troll, Tauren, Undead, Blood Elf, and Goblin races, along with the Pandaren who choose to join them.
- Alliance | The Grand Alliance faction is set to bring the Light to the less civilized races of Azeroth, and have gathered the Humans, Night Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Draenei, and Worgen under their banner, along with the Pandaren who choose to join them.
- Allied Races | Both Alliance and Horde heroes can discover new allies by exploring faraway lands. The following races need to be recruited to your faction’s cause in-game before you can play them. For the Alliance there are: Void Elf, Lightforged Draenei, Dark Iron Dwarf, Kul Tiran, and Mechagnome races. For the Horde there are: Nightborne, Highmountain Tauren, Mag'har Orc, Zandalari Troll, and Vulpera races.
- Warrior | Tank, Damage
Warriors combine strength, leadership, and a vast knowledge of arms and armor to wreak havoc in glorious combat.
- Paladin | Tank, Healer, Damage
The call of the Paladin is to protect the weak, bring justice to the unjust, and vanquish evil from the darkest corners of the world.
- Hunter | Damage
Hunters are drawn to the wilds and endure in the unforgiving primal world. They build lifelong partners through their pets and drop their foes with ranged combat.
- Rogue | Damage
For rogues, the only code is the contract. These mercenaries rely on brutal and efficient tactics to sneak, backstab, and deal massive damage.
- Priest | Healer, Damage
Priests are devoted to the spiritual, and express their faith by serving the people. They support their allied on the front lines with advanced healing spells, but can wield the power of Light to smite their enemies.
- Shaman | Healer, Damage
Shamans are masters of the elements, using spells and totems that heal or enhance their allies in battle while unleashing the fury of the elements upon their foes.
- Mage | Damage
Mages are gifted with keen intellect and unwavering discipline. The arcane magic available to mages is both great and dangerous, including hurling great fireballs, freezing foes in waves of ice, or even transforming enemies into helpless animals.
- Warlock | Damage
Warlocks seek opportunity in the face of demonic power. These voracious spellcasters summon demonic minions to fight beside them while inflicting enemies with debilitating curses.
- Monk | Tank, Healer, Damage
Bare-knuckle brawlers whose no-weapon styles were born in ancient Pandaria. Monks can shoulder deadly attacks through the use of brews, heal broken chi flows, and beat their enemies with fists and feet.
- Druid | Tank, Healer, Damage
Druids harness the powers of nature to preserve balance and protect life. They can shapeshift, taking on the forms of a variety of beasts each focused on a specific combat role.
- Demon Hunter | Tank, Damage
Demon Hunters embrace the forbidden powers of the Legion. they make use of fel and chaotic magics, metamorphosis abilities, spectral sight, and their hellish agility to hunt down and defeat their adversaries.
- Death Knight | Tank, Damage
When the Lich King's control over his death knights was broken, his former champions found their new purpose as Knights of the Ebon Blade. The Death Knights engage their foes close up and imbue their weapons with runes to render enemies vulnerable to their unholy power.
- Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Enchanting, Engineering, Herbalism, Inscription, Jewelcrafting, Leatherworking, Mining, Skinning, Tailoring.
- Archaeology, Cooking, Fishing.