Wizard101: Ride Like the Wind, Horse-guy!
There are 2 - well, sometimes 3 - things I love about April. First, April is my birthday month, though, I’m sure that’ll become less exciting as I continue to age. The second (which is conditional) is Easter. When it falls in April, I finally get to consume unhealthy amounts of pastel-colored chocolates without feeling one ounce of guilt. The third? April Fool’s Day. Seeing all the crazy things companies come up with is hysterical. Joining in on the fun, KingsIsle released their 2019 April Fool’s Day mount this past Monday named “Maximum Horsepower.”
As the name indicates, the new mount does run on horsepower ... just not the type of horse you’d expect. Remember those horse-on-a-stick toys (horse stick? Stick horse? Do these actually have a proper name?) that some people used to have when they were younger? I say some people because I know I definitely wasn’t one of them. All I remember from my childhood was Tamagotchi, Webkinz, and Tech Decks (I turn 22 next week). Anyway, picture that horse stick toy as a video game mount and you have “Maximum Horsepower.” It’s actually a pretty clever idea. The pun just makes it all the more funnier too.
Although it’s not my favorite April Fool’s Day mount KingsIsle has done, it’s up there. If I had to rank them, I think it’d be this order (from favorite to least favorite).
- Slowpoke Sloth: -40% speed. Original and an instant classic.
- Wonky the Donkey: You’re carrying the mount and you still get the +40% speed boost? Genius! Thanks, Malistaire!
- Maximum Horsepower: Run-ny, funny, and punny.
- Mighty Steed: I’ve never seen Monty Python in full, but I can appreciate a good reference when I see one.
- Ball-N-Chain: Solid, but it reminded me of the sloth mount.
- Coolest Mount Ever: Pretty cool.
- Rubber Ducky: Super cute, but I feel like this could’ve been released anytime. It didn’t scream April Fool’s to me, but maybe I’m alone in that.
Personally, I’d love to see an April Fool’s Day mount that forces our character to either run backwards or ride the mount backwards. I’d also enjoy a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy style invisible boat mobile type mount where our characters can be seen just floating through the air. One can dream!
If you want to achieve maximum horsepower in Wizard101, be sure to pick up the new mount in the Crown Shop for 3,570 crowns. It will only be available until Sunday, April 7th, at 11:59 PM Central Time.