Star Trek Online Overview
Star Trek Online is a premier free-to-play MMORPG from Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment set in the famous Star Trek universe. Don the official uniforms of the United Federation of Planets or the Klingon Empire, choose the path of Tactical, Science, or Engineering specialties, command Away Teams, captain your very own starship, avoid Borg assimilation, even breed (!) Tribbles, all in Gene Roddenberry’s larger-than-life space epic, and all for free.
STO brings the Final Frontier right to your computer screen, with a stardate sometime in 2049, and in the same timeline set forth in the TV shows. Players quickly become captain of a starship, and are given a trial by fire as their first mission, setting the basis for the game’s story. From there, players are free to explore strange new worlds, new life, new civilizations, to boldly go anywhere in game they wish to. STO has many of the locations made known from the TV series, and is constantly expanding the known universe with many more. Characters, bridge officers, and starships are all highly customizable, and may easily be made to stay true to Star Trek canon.
STO is powered by the Cryptic Engine, allowing for very good space and ground visuals, and focusing on engaging combat tactics, such as the ability to flank enemies on the ground for extra damage, and position starships to make proper use of shields and weapons. Furthermore, the STO Foundry gives players the tools to create missions, and make them available for play by other players. The bottom line is, if you’re looking to get into a solid Star Trek game, Star Trek Online is the one. It's available on PC, and XB1 and PS4.
- Star Trek Universe | Adventure in one of the most famous space stories in history, visiting locations such as Starfleet Academy, Deep Space Nine, the Mutara Nebula, The First City of Qo'noS, and many others.
- Federation Races | Choose from 17: Andorian, Bajoran, Benzite, Betazoid, Bolian, Caitian, Ferengi, Human, Joined Trill (from the Cryptic Store or with purchase of the Digital Deluxe Edition), Klingon (from the Cryptic Store), Liberated Human Borg (from lifetime subscription), Pakled, Rigelian, Saurian, Tellarite, Unjoined Trill, Vulcan.
- Klingon Races | Gorn (male only), Klingon, Lethean (male only), Nausicaan (male only), Orion, Liberated Klingon Borg (from lifetime subscription), Joined Trill (from the Cryptic Store or with purchase of the Digital Deluxe Edition).
- Profession Paths | Players may choose to follow Engineering, Science, and Tactical professions.
- Starships | Three main types are available (Cruiser, Escort, and Science Vessel), with almost 50 individual ships.
- Customize | Design your own ship, everything from nacelles to bridge. Customize Bridge Officers’ skills and traits. Select the uniforms you and your Bridge Officers wear. Choose your specific skills to focus on depending on your chosen Profession.
- Crafting | By combining schematics, data samples, and particle traces, players may craft a wide variety of personal equipment, starship weapons, and starship components.
- Fleet Actions | Join up with up to 20 players to tackle epic space and ground missions together.
- Feature Episodes | Engage in story-driven Feature Episodes to participate in the ever-expanding Star Trek story and earn special rewards.
- The Foundry | Tools for players to create missions to be played by other players.