PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - 'Build Stability & Quality Are Our Most Important Value'
Toeseok Jang, the executive producer of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, has penned a lengthy letter to update the community on the progress being made in the FIX PUBG campaign that the developers started several months ago. In it, he provides a peek at the most significant strides made by the developers and what players can expect going in to 2019.
Key takeaways from the letter:
- client performance has improved since July and the main focus remains on "delivering a smooth and seamless gaming experience"
- some issues have cropped up with regard to character related optimization that the team is working on
- since Update 19, server performance is improved with more improvements on the docket
matchmaking is still a work in progress, though there are other improvements coming to make even bigger strides
- "We are considering a matchmaking UI overhaul so players can more easily recognize the estimated wait time for matchmaking and the current ping. With an improved matchmaking UI based on personal preferences, players will be able to play in their desired environment and game mode/map, even if matching takes a little longer. In the end, we want to provide useful information for players to judge the situation and make the choice between wait time and optimal performance themselves if the matchmaking pool doesn’t allow for both."
- the battle against cheaters continues and more will be revealed soon in another developer letter
- bug fixes and QoL improvements are a work in progress
- XBox and PS4 development will be parallel to the PC client's
As for what players can expect in 2019:
Therefore, when designing the 2019 PUBG roadmap, we’ve changed our direction from this last year. Build stability and quality are now our most important value, and upon that base we will build new Battle Royale gameplay and new content. At first, this is likely to slow down our build cadence, but as these processes become more proficient, we hope to provide new content as fast as before, while maintaining our new stability and quality-first goal. While we cannot say how long this will take, we promise you that we will give our best efforts to reach this stage as quickly as possible.
Read the full details on the PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds site.