Moving forward, Valheim will use direct connections, called Steam Datagram Relay (SDR). You can enable private servers by typing “-public 0” in the server command line. You’ll only be able to join private servers using the “Join IP” button which was added in a previous patch. Hopefully, this patch reduces latency.
The patch includes several other improvements and fixes including:
- Localization updates
- Made Haldor head-turn smoother
- Object network interpolation is skipped if object was far away, solved issue with network players flying through the air when entering dungeons & exiting portals etc
- Added -public 1/0 flag to dedicated server again, Allows players to host local lan only servers
- Join IP-button updated to allow for lan-connections (dedicated servers only) & added DNS support
- Dedicated servers use directIP connection instead of SDR, solves issues with slow steam relays in some areas of the world
- Bonemass puke-effect network fix
- Updated Dedicated-server PDF manual
- Prevent pickup items when entering portals
- Lowered wolf procreation slightly
- Lowered chance of boss trophy talking
Additionally, the team announced just earlier that Valheim has crossed 5 million copies sold. This resulted in over 15,000 years playing the game with over 35 million hours watched on Twitch. The team teased "exciting new milestones" for 2021 as Valheim continues its charge.