For the first time in several years, the United States has overtaken China as the largest market for games revenue generation according to NewZoo's Global Games Market report. This year, the revenue from games in the US will surge nearly 14% to $36.9B while China will fall to second place generating $36.5B. The Chinese market has been hit hard by the 9-month freeze on licensing new games in 2018 that is still being felt well into 2019.
Other takeaways from NewZoo's report:
- there are 2.5B gamers worldwide
- game revenue will increase nearly 10% to $$152.1B in 2019
- console revenue is up 13.5% and is the fastest growing segment in 2019
- mobile gaming is the largest segment of the industry growing at 10% year on year with $68.5B in 2019 anticipated
- PC gaming is the smallest and slowest-growing segment. "PC's status as the bedrock of innovation in the games market remains evident to this day. Nearly all of the most popular game genres, including battle royale and MOBA, can trace their roots back to PC gaming's modding community."
- the global games market is anticipated to grow 9% by 2022 to $196B
- Asia-Pacific is the largest generator of game revenue
Check out the full Global Games Market Report to learn more.