Brad McQuaid has posted a lengthy article on the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen site that provides insight into the type of game that he is making. Called "Want went wrong? WoW? 'WoW-Killers' or a general lack of guts?", the article delves into whether or not MMO developers should continue down the same road using the same ideas or if they should "choose a target audience, a demographic within the greater online gaming space, and make the best damn game we can for that group".
McQuaid touches on a number to topics in great detail including:
- moving from mass appeal to specialized, perhaps over a number of games instead of only one
- create shared experiences to increase the "sticky" factor
- keep players interested month after month, year after year
- MMOs shouldn't be for "everybody" any more than an RTS or FPS
- choose an target audience, determine resources they'll enjoy and commit to creating "just that"
You can read the entire article on the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen site.