Quantcast
loading
loading

Dark or Light
logo
Logo

Starcraft FPS Reportedly Canceled to Grow Diablo 4 & Overwatch 2 Teams

By Suzie Ford on June 06, 2019 | News | 0

This morning, we wrote about a now-former Blizzard developer who remarked that the game he had been working on for two years was canceled abruptly. This afternoon, Kotaku has obtained information from unnamed inside sources that the game was a Starcraft first-person shooter. The cancellation came as a shock to the devs working on it and happened in the past two weeks. Those who had been working on the Starcraft FPS are being moved to both the Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 teams.

The project, which was code-named Ares, was described to me as “like Battlefield in the StarCraft universe” by one of those people, all of whom spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to talk about the project. The team had built prototypes in which the player, as a Terran marine, could gun down Zerg aliens, and there were plans to experiment with playable Zerg as well. Although one person who saw builds of the game last year told me that it seemed like development progress was slow, a second said it came as “a massive shock” when Blizzard canceled it a couple of weeks ago. A third person said it was “looking quite good.”

It is likely that this year's Blizzcon will focus on bigger announcements for both D4 and OW2, the latter of which has only been whispered about in recent months.

We'll keep you posted. In the meantime, read more at the link above.


SBFord

Suzie Ford

Suzie is the former Associate Editor and News Manager at MMORPG.com. Follow her on Twitter @MMORPGMom