Announced via a press release today, Cryptic and Perfect World have given us a release window for its upcoming Magic: The Gathering themed project, Magic: Legends. The Action MMO/RPG will be coming to PC this year, though console players will be waiting a bit longer.
The new game from the MMO maker will come to PCs sometime this year, 2020, while console players on PS4 and Xbox One will be waiting till 2021 to get their hands on the Planeswalker-fueled action MMO/RPG. Alongside the release timing announcement, Magic: Legends debuted a trailer, which after viewing looks like the gameplay trailer Game Informer revealed exclusively last week.
We previously reported on the two new classes that Magic: Legends has opened up about: the Mind Mage and the Geomancer. Players will create decks of cards, 12 in total, which will be used as the skills you cast when combating enemies on the map. These cards can be any color, thouugh much like the colors in the card game, each color will have distinct play styles. For example, the Mono-Red deck on display with the Geomancer is incredibly aggressive, contrasted with the more control magic seen out of the Mind Mage gameplay video.
PC players will be able to go hands on this Spring with an upcoming beta. You can sign up for the beta on the official Magic: Legends website.
From the press release announcement:
From the developers behind Neverwinter comes a new top-down MMO Action RPG featuring fast-paced combat inspired by Magic: The Gathering. An ancient force moves in darkness, posing an ever-growing threat to the entire multiverse. Players will experience the power of becoming a Planeswalker as they discover exciting mana-based spells and strategically build out the perfect hand of balanced attacks to control the chaos of the battlefield. While openly exploring the vast planes from Magic: The Gathering, players will fight alongside iconic characters and legendary creatures made popular by the original card game. Key features of Magic: Legends include:
- Become a Planeswalker – Players can choose from five diverse classes and switch between different Planeswalkers at any time.
- Walk Your Own Path – Players will need to cross various planes to save the multiverse, but how they weave their path is up to them.
- Control the Chaos – Control the chaos in real-time combat. Choosing what spells go into each hand requires strategy, as they will be drawn at random during attacks.
- Collect and Upgrade – Players will discover a myriad of spells and collect spell fragments to make them more powerful.
- Fight Together – The planes in Magic: Legends can be traversed alone or with up to two other Planeswalkers.
Here’s a closer look at the first two classes announced for Magic: Legends:
- The Geomancer draws upon the power of the Earth to pummel enemies in close quarters with devastating stone and lava attacks. They are capable of absorbing blows that would otherwise incapacitate other Planeswalkers with their rock shield. Geomancers prefer to call upon creatures like goblins, kavu and earth elementals.
- The Mind Mage personifies cool intellect. As a Planeswalker that focuses on psychic powers, they can battle enemies from a safe distance, controlling projectiles with telekinetic powers, and lock down dangerous foes with spells that put them to sleep, or turn them against their allies.