Patch 5.3 has been delayed for Final Fantasy XIV, but that hasn't stopped Square Enix from providing quite a few details. The next patch for the hit MMORPG brings with it a new NieR-inspired raid, scenario quests for the main Shadowbringers questline as well as streamlines the original A Realm Reborn quests for new players.
The patch was detailed earlier today in the latest Letter from the Producer LIVE stream, featuring Naoki Yoshida. In the livestream, the developers details what's to come when the Patch 5.3 drops for players in Norvrandt. For those working through the Shadowbringers storyline, Patch 5.3 brings with it the next batch of quests in the epic story. NieR is back, having made its first cross-over appearancein Patch 5.1. The new NieR-inspired Alliance raid, The Puppets Bunker, "will unravel further mysteries of the machine lifeforms on the First."
However, what is likely to catch many people's eye are the improvements coming to the original storylines to make them more "streamlined." One of the major drawbacks to starting Final Fantasy XIV is the fact that the early story content can be a slog - but it really is required to understand what is going on in the newer expansions. Patch 5.3 aims to make that easier by "reworking" the main scenario questline in A Realm Reborn to "give new players a more streamlined experience." Players will also be able to fly in ARR areas once they've completed the "Ultima Weapon" questline. From a press release, highlighting the major announcements from the stream this morning:
- New Main Scenario Quests – The curtains rise for the final act of the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Shadowbringers main scenario questline.
- Main Scenario Questline Update: A Realm Reborn – The main scenario questline in A Realm Reborn will be reworked to give new players a more streamlined experience as they progress to Heavensward and beyond. Additionally, players will be able to fly in A Realm Reborn areas upon completion of “The Ultima Weapon” quest.
- New YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse Alliance Raid – Following Patch 5.1’s The Copied Factory, this next NieR-inspired alliance raid, titled The Puppets Bunker will unravel further mysteries of the machine lifeforms on the First.
- New Dungeon: The Heroes’ Gauntlet – Players can tackle this new challenge alongside fellow adventurers, or a party of non-player characters, using the Trust system.
- New Trial: Parties of eight players can challenge this new challenging trial battle in both normal and extreme difficulties.
- Save the Queen Questline Updates – Players can enhance weapons obtained in the first chapter of this ongoing quest series as they explore an all-new area. Additionally, new large-scale battle content will be added as part of the update.
- New “Chronicles of a New Era” Quest: The Sorrow of Welt – Part of the ‘Weapon Series’ questline, players can enjoy a story-focused experience culminating in a special event battle.
- Ishgard Restoration Update – The third phase of restoration begins following the efforts of the Skybuilders. Skybuilder Rankings return, with new items for players to craft and new achievements for top contributors to the restoration.
- New Beast Tribe Quests – A new crafter-focused questline featuring the dwarves.
- New Game+ Updates – The updated A Realm Reborn main scenario and other quests will be available for players to revisit while keeping your current character and level.
- New Battle Content: Unreal Trials – Players will be able to challenge powered-up primals from earlier expansions that are ready to fight against level 80 heroes. Unreal Trials will feature one primal fight which will change with each patch, beginning with Shiva in Patch 5.3. Defeating the primal each week gives players the chance to complete a new mini-game, with those who emerge triumphant receiving tokens to exchange for prizes.
- Crafter and Gatherer Updates – New custom deliveries, updates to Rowena's House of Splendors, and an update to the Skysteel Tools questline headline several crafter and gatherer updates.
- Job Adjustments for PvE and PvP, System Updates, and more.
You can check out the Letter from the Producer LIVE in the Twitch embed below. Additionally, if you want to learn how the NieR collab came about in Final Fantasy XIV, a new installment of the "Making of" series will be live on the official FFXIV channel on Thursday, April 30th.