The Elder Scrolls Online team has shared a progress report of their ongoing performance improvements.
Q1 2020, which is Update 25, is set to include:
- A patching overhaul
- Faster loading art fixtures and characters
- Combat ability improvements (phase 2) which will be behind the scenes
- Framerate improvements including work on the effects manager and multi-threading
Q2 2020 will see Update 26 which is in development. Features include:
- Server optimization and stability while focusing on pets and player-character loading
- Phase 2 of framerate improvements including fixture creation, character update, and an FX update
- Combat ability improvements phase 3
You can learn more here.