Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Overwatch | Bless | Cyberpunk 2077

    Facebook Twitter YouTube Twitch.tv YouTube.Gaming Discord
Register
Quick Game Jump
Members:3,794,804 Users Online:0
Games:978 

Newsroom

Newsroom

Filter Week Filter Game
RSS

Debate: Contested vs. Instanced Raids

Posted Jul 01, 2006 by Dana Massey

Debate: Contested vs. Instanced Raids

Darren Bridle and Robert Fitzgerald square off in this Saturday's debate. The two look at the issue of instanced raids - think WoW - vs. contested raids - think EverQuest. Once you've seen what they have to say, let us know what you think in the comment thread.

Darren Bridle: Contested mobs are bad for games that have instancing available to them. The only players that seem to argue for contested mobs are those in the top 1% of the game, what about the other 99%? Instancing has made smaller guilds capable of having fun and experiencing raid content that was never before seen let alone attempted.

In Everquest one, back in the early days, I remember the feeling of being beaten to Trakanon, it was a gut wrenching feeling to be sitting there prepping for the kill, when another more experienced guild walked in and took the kill. Where is the spirited racing to kill the raid mob first in that? Only one set of players can get glory leaving everyone else to feel dejected and unworthy. If content developers spent more time creating varied and challenging instanced encounters, there is no need.

You can read the debate here.

 advertisement