A new tax has been introduced to DC Universe Online in an attempt to fix the money exploit currently in the MMO.
In essence, the team recently disabled cash trading due to an exploit they found wherein a few players could inject trillions in fake currency subsequently breaking the game. This had the effect of inflating broker prices and item values.
“This is not a simple problem to solve. This fake cash has thoroughly scattered throughout the entire player base, even to those completely unaware and trading legitimately. Having this much fake cash presents numerous long term problems for all players.”
There are three primary actions the team outlines to directly address this issue:
- We fixed the exploit.
- We took action on the offenders' accounts.
- We performed a one-time "progressive tax" to remove most of the fake cash.
Of these, the progressive tax is perhaps the most in-depth. The team recognizes that this inflation cannot be addressed in a single patch, so this tax system is meant to address the issue. The team has introduced progressive tax brackets where you’ll pay a certain amount of tax depending on the bracket you fall under:
- “You might pay 0% on your first $10, then 10% on your next $20, then 20% on your next $30.
- In this example, you would owe $0 from the first bracket, $2 from the second, and $6 from the third, for a total tax of $8 on that $60 you started with.”
These brackets include:
- Cash below $500,000,000 is not taxed at all.
- Cash between 500,000,001 and 10,000,000,000 is taxed at 5%
- Cash between 10,000,000,001 and 15,000,000,000 is taxed at 10%.
- Cash between 15,000,000,001 and 20,000,000,000 is taxed at 20%.
- Cash between 20,000,000,001 and 25,000,000,000 is taxed at 25%.
- Cash above 25,000,000,001 is taxed at 100%.
Learn more about the fixes here.