If you've been looking forward to the next World of Warcraft expansion, Battle for Azeroth, it appears that the countdown has begun. According to WoWhead and MMO-Champion, the alpha version of BfA has landed on Blizzard servers and the datamining teams have been hard at work pulling out tons of new information about what you can expect.
There is a literal ton of information to be sifted through over the coming weeks, but, for now, here are the main highlights. Keep in mind that these are very early build changes and that things will likely be changing greatly over the course of alpha and beta testing.
If you choose to visit these links, beware of spoilers if you're the sort who prefers not to know it all before an expansion's launch.
- new races added - Zandalari Troll, Kul'Tiran and "ThinHuman" with customization options for player races (Zandalari)
- new spells and abilities and major class changes
- new items for crafting across all professions
- new mounts including hyenas, brutosaur, frog, giant parrot, goblin hovercraft, pterrordax
- new talents with calculators already prepared
- a huge number of new items
- map locations including Zandalar and Kul'Tiras, invasion maps, dungeon maps and more
- new character models for Jaina Proudmoore and Anduin Wrynn and Azshara
- achievements including most of the Ashran achievements being moved to feats of strength -- is it being closed?
- BfA music
- new broadcast text could provide a brief look at the story
- spell changes
- encounter journals for more story
Also datamined are the racial descriptions for both Dark Iron Dwarves and the Zandalari:
Zandalari Description: Descended from the first troll tribes, the Zandalari are an ancient kingdom steeped in ritual and superstition. Their warriors ride mighty dinosaurs into battle, and they possess one of the most formidable fleets in the known world. But as enemies encroach upon the borders of Zuldazar, unrest within the king's council threatens to topple the empire. If the heroes of the Horde can return stability to Zandalar, they would gain a powerful new ally.
Dark Iron Dwarf Description: Known for their fiery tempers and fierce determination, Dark Iron dwarves have a turbulent history with the other clans. A failed coup in Ironforge ignited the War of the Three Hammers, and many of the Dark Iron once fought in the service of Ragnaros the Firelord. Though one faction of the dwarves is pledged to Queen-Regent Moira Thaurissan, others refuse to stand alongside their kin. The Alliance seeks a united Dark Iron clan to harness the power of azerite and aid their struggle against the Horde.
We'll be continuing to watch the progress of alpha testing for Battle for Azeroth and keep updating you on the latest information presented.
Check out everything and more at the links above.
Blizzard will be holding a World of Warcraft Q&A on Tuesday, January 30th at 12:00 pm Pacific / 3:00 pm Eastern. Ion Hazzikostas will be on hand to answer questions. You can submit them through #WarcraftQA via Twitter or in this forum thread.