According to former Blizzard developer David Gibson who left the company earlier this week, a project on which he has been working for the past two years has been canceled. While Gibson did not provide any details, he did send out a few tweets that said that his game was "on the back burner a bit over the past 6 months" before being canceled. "Unfortunately, you'll never see what we made over the past 2 years - that's gamedev, but we'll always have Overwatch," he wrote.
Well, today is my last day at Blizzard. Unfortunately you’ll never see what we made over the past 2 years-that’s gamedev, but we’ll always have Overwatch. :) I get 6 weeks off(I need it) until my next gig starts,info soon. And one last time, my OW Reel:https://t.co/2b7J88Gysw ?? pic.twitter.com/alwakoU9zA— David Gibson (@PoodleTime) June 5, 2019
In fairness, Blizzard has stated in the past that only about half of their games make it out of the earliest production phases. Speaking to Game Informer, Allen Adham said, "The truth is, behind the curtain, it's a horror show. Most people outside of Blizzard don't realize around half of our titles don't see the light of day."
While on it surface, this is "bad news" for Blizzard, new Blizzard president J. Allen Brack has said that the company is working on "more games than ever before," including on at least a couple of projects related to Overwatch.