Fallout 76 has come a long way from, what some consider, one of the worst launches of a live-service game in recent memory to one of the most played games on Xbox. While bugs still crop up from time to time, Bethesda hasn’t given up on delivering enjoyable content for their dedicated player base. The Steel Reign update that was teased in this years’ roadmap has hit the Public Test Server, and players seem to have mixed feelings about the changes.
Last week the Public Test Server rolled out the Steel Reign update, introducing a series of new features to Fallout 76, which includes a new questline, a new Gold Bullion Vendor, legendary crafting, legendary attributed balance changes, and some new rewards. Many of the changes regarding the new weapon and armor attributes, and the rebalancing of some of the older attributes are definitely welcome for those that have been looking to change-up the meta builds that mainly consist of running either a Bloodied, or Junkie’s weapon. The new legendary weapons and armor attributes are listed below, but more information can be found in the original PTS post:
New Legendary Weapon Attributes
- Aristocrat’s: Damage increases as Caps increase. Maximum of +50% damage at 29,000 Caps.
- Juggernaut’s: Damage increases as Health increases. Maximum of +25% damage at 95% health or above.
- Heavyweight: This attribute is still a work in progress, and it is currently non-functional. Look for it in the next PTS update!
- Gourmand’s: Damage increases as you fill your hunger and thirst meters. Maximum of +24% damage.
- Last Shot: The final round in a magazine has a 25% chance to deal twice as much damage.
- Single shot weapons, like Black Powder Rifles, cannot spawn with Last Shot.
- Steady: +25% damage while standing still
- Inertial: Replenish 15 Action Points with each kill.
- Ghost’s: Attacks that hit enemies each have a 10% chance to generate a Stealth Field.
New Legendary Armor and Power Armor Attributes
- Aristocrat’s: Energy and Damage Resistances increase as Caps increase. Maximum of +20 for each resistance at 29,000 Caps.Power Armor: Maximum of +35 for each resistance at 29,000 Caps.
- Heavyweight: This attribute is still a work in progress, and it is currently non-functional. Look for it in the next PTS update!Power Armor: Maximum of +35 for each resistance at 350 pounds.
- Overeater’s: Increases Damage Reduction up to +6% as you fill your hunger and thirst meters.
- Glutton’s: Hunger and Thirst grow 10% slower. This effect stacks up to a maximum of +50%.
- Fireproof: +25 Fire Resistance
- Warming: +25 Cryo Resistance
- Hardy: Receive 10% less damage from explosions
- Doctor’s: Stimpaks, RadAway, and Rad-X are 5% more effective.
- Burning: 5% chance to deal 100 Fire damage to melee attackers
- Electrified: 5% chance to deal 100 Energy damage to melee attackers
- Frozen: 5% chance to deal 100 Cryo damage to melee attackers
- Toxic: 5% chance to deal 100 Poison damage to melee attackers
- Dissipating: Slowly regenerate Radiation damage when out of combat.
Players now have the ability to craft legendary gear, including Power Armor, which is something that players had been hoping to do for years. While players are happy that proper legendary crafting is headed to the game, many players aren’t exactly enamored with how legendary crafting is being handled.
Previously, any legendary items that you could craft required legendary modules. In the new system, players are required to use both Legendary Modules and the newly introduced Legendary Cores to perform “Legendary Upgrades” to an item of your choice, rewriting its current legendary attributes, or adding them to normal gear.
Fallout 76 players have taken to Reddit to discuss the new system, though many threads seem to have a negative view of how the new system currently operates. Hopefully Bethesda continues to listen to their players, as legendary crafting will eventually expand later this year when Four-Star Legendary Gear will hit the scene. Have you been following the changes in the Steel Reign update? Let us know your thoughts on the next major update for Fallout 76 in the comments.