As we usher into the next generation of consoles, Digital Extremes is hard at work, making the transition as smooth as possible. There will be new enhanced rendering to add dynamic lighting to the game. This lighting was shown in the recent Playstation 5 reveal trailer.
Unfortunately, there is no word on an Xbox Series launch timeframe. It is unfortunate because I could only snag an Xbox Series X preorder and not a Playstation 5. I would totally be willing to re-review Warframe on Playstation 5 if a certain MMO online magazine could lend me one (WINK, WINK). I digress! Where was I? Oh yeah, so Playstation 5 will have sexy new rendering, faster load times, cross-generation play (not cross-platform play), and progress activities to show how close you are to getting your next achievement. I can tell you right now because I do not have a Playstation 5 preorder, my next achievement is getting a Playstation 5 (WINK WINK). Don’t worry, I am just clearing up the tears in my eyes. The Playstation 5 will also take full advantage of the new controller haptics if you happen to get one…
It is hard to believe that Warframe has come so far since the initial Playstation 4 release on November 15, 2013. It is amazing what 6 years, 11 months, and 22 days can do to a video game. Oh, and 29 updates help a bunch too. Back in my day, we only had one tileset and four warframes to choose from. Nowadays, kids get to play on 18 planets with 44 warframes, 30 quests, three open worlds, and 60 million other players at 60 frames per second in 4K resolution. I think I threw my back out with all those specs in one sentence.
Update 29.5 Deimos Arcana
Speaking of updates, coming this month, Warframe will be introducing update 29.5. With 29.5, we will get a whole slew of new stuff and quality of life updates. Here is a quick rundown of what to expect this month from the 29.5 update:
- A considerable overhaul to the Steel Path (hard mode) game mode: You will now see Acolytes spawning as min-bosses in the Steel Path. They will drop Steel Essences and their regular loot. There are still some mods I need from them. The Steel Path will also have daily missions to do. The best part of the daily missions is the ability to unlock nodes with the missions. One of the hardest parts of Warframe is trying to unlock a node in the Steel Path without a group. This way, you will be able to unlock the node even if you have never been there before. It reminds me of the good ol’days when we yelled for a taxi in chat. Because we will be able to get more Steel Essences, we will need to spend them. Teshin will show up weekly for all our shopping needs. I wonder if he has any Playstation 5’s for Steel Essences?
- A new Necramech called Bone Widow. Bone Widow is going to be a melee type Necramech. Her abilities include a shield, an exalted melee weapon, and an electric fence ability that piles the enemies in front of you and chains damage between enemies.
- Massive updates to existing warframes. The largest change will come to Chroma. Instead of equipping a specific color set to get ability effects, you can now change his ability damage type in mission. His Spectral Scream now has a 100 percent status chance. Other warframes that are getting updates are Ashe, Atlas, Necros, Nidus, and Zephyr.
- How you use your glaive will change. The most notable of the changes is the ability to throw your glaive while sliding. There will be more glaive changes in future updates. I am hoping one of those changes is dual glaives.
- A new puzzle to solve in the depths of Deimos. I won’t spoil it, but you should watch Star Wars to help solve the puzzle. I lie, it just looks like a Sarlacc Pit.
29.5 could be our last update for Warframe in 2020. There is a lot to look forward to in 2021! In the devstream they mentioned how Lavos was coming along nicely, but they are not ready to unveil his abilities yet. They also mentioned more updates to the Kuva Lich system and Railjack. I am such a slacker I haven’t even finished building my Railjack yet. I have been too busy trying to get a Playstation 5 and enjoying Deimos.
Going into the next generation of consoles, are you planning on playing on the Playstation 5 or the Xbox Series X/S?