New World Servers to Start with 500 Player Capacity But May Grow to 10k
PCGamesN has a nifty preview of New World, the ambitious survival MMO being build by Amazon Game Studios. When New World launches, it will be able to have server hosting for about 500 players, though the goal is to reach 10,000 concurrent players per server that should kick off some amazing territorial wars.
Other takeaways from the interview:
- hunting, gathering resources, weapon crafting, cooking and construction will be part of the game
- forts act as respawn points
- forts are safe zones where players can't be attacked by NPC wildlife or other players
- forts provide storage opportunities for players' items
- "the world map is vast"
- where a player's HQ is located "belongs to your party" and a portion of all resources gathered by other players within its boundaries goes to the player
- players can set quests for others within the boundaries of their HQ
- there are no classes and players can even avoid combat altogether