Horizon: Zero Dawn Overview
Horizon: Zero Dawn is an open world RPG from Guerilla Games (Killzone series). It takes place in a postapocalyptic world where most of the wildlife is robotic in nature, but the rest of society is very low tech. Explore a vibrant landscape rich with the beauty of nature. Travel through stunningly detailed forests, imposing mountains and the atmospheric ruins of a bygone civilization, all brought together in a world that is alive with changing weather systems and a full day/night cycle.
The PC version, which includes The Frozen Wilds expansion, launched for Steam on August 7, 2020.
- Take on the role of skilled hunter Aloy as you explore a vibrant and lush world inhabited by mysterious mechanized creatures.
- Embark on a compelling, emotional journey and unravel mysteries of tribal societies, ancient artifacts and advanced technologies that will determine the fate of this planet, and of life itself.
- Players take control of Aloy, a hunter and archer, as she progresses through a post-apocalyptic land ruled by robotic creatures known simply as "Machines".
- Aloy can use a variety of ways to kill enemies, such as setting traps like tripwires, shooting enemies with arrows, using explosives, and melee combat. She can essentially hack a selection of creatures, turning them into makeshift vehicles or travelling companions.
- Using a "focus scan" allows Aloy to determine her enemies' susceptibilities, identify their location, the particular level they possess and the nature of loot they will drop.
- The game features an open world with a dynamic day-night cycle and weather system that can be explored without loading screens.
- The quest structure unfolds to accommodate the exploration of tribes while the main story covers the entire world. Aloy can come across stories that require her to solve individual cases as well.
- A dialogue wheel is used to communicate with non-playable characters.