Note: Today’s review is brought to you by a new guest writer and potential freelance contributor, Mark Rumph.
If you’re in a gamer in the market for a new desk, you’ve probably noticed two things. First, “gaming desks” are the new fad but rarely offer more than a built-in mousepad or cup-holder for their extra price. Second, standing desks are absolutely taking off. Today, we’re looking a premium sit-stand desk from UPLIFT with the V2 Standing Desk. It leaves the “gaming” branding at the door and instead focuses on premium features and build quality. Does it deliver? Let’s find out.
- Current Price: $539.99 - $793 (depending on size; UPLIFT Desk Webstore)
- Frame height range: UPLIFT V2 Frame: 24.5" - 50.1" H (25.5" - 51.1" H with 1" desktop)
- UPLIFT V2 Commercial Frame: 21.6" - 47.7" H (22.6" - 48.7" H with 1" desktop, which meets BIFMA height requirement)
- Travel height: UPLIFT V2 Frame: 25.6" of travel
- UPLIFT V2 Commercial Frame: 26.1" of travel
- Travel speed: 1.57" per second (varies - slowest with maximum load) with soft start/stop actuator motors
- Noise level: 50 decibels during motion
- Frame width: Accommodates desktops from 42" - 80" W
- Lifting capacity: 355 lb
- Keypad: Advanced one-touch digital memory keypad is available, push and hold up/down keypad is standard
- Adjustable foot leveling studs: 3/8" adjustment for uneven flooring
- Input: 100-120VAC, 50/60Hz (400W max)
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.5-2014 Durability Certification: UPLIFT V2 and UPLIFT V2 Commercial Frame both passed ANSI/BIFMA X5.5-2014 Durability Standard Testing (passed all applicable sections 4.3, 4.4, 4.6, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 15, and 18)
- ANSI/BIFMA G1-2013 Height Standard: UPLIFT V2 Commercial Frame is ANSI/BIFMA G1-2013 Height Standard compliant. Click here to learn what that means.
- CAN/CGSB 44.227-2008E certification: Canadian desktop deflection specification compliant with section 6.6.1/8.4 Surface Deflection
- Safety certifications: Lifting Column, Power Cord, & Control Box - UL/CSA (Canada and U.S.)
- Warranty: 7-year all-inclusive warranty on entire desk frame: motor frame, controller, keypad, electronics, and mechanisms included. Extension to 12 years available.
First Impressions, Unboxing, and Assembly
My UPLIFT V2 sit-stand desk arrived the other day, and I have been in love ever since. When I ordered it, I knew that it was going to be quite large to ship and that it was going to arrive in separate pieces. It shipped in about five different packages (including a hanging storage cubby, and a desk-side locking filing cabinet). To my surprise, everything arrived at the same time, and it even came a day earlier than the tracking indicated; early is always a win. Having everything show up at the same time was a blessing, and made it easy to put everything together all at once.
Everything was packaged nicely inside of heavy foamlike packing material that was fit to the pieces, which ensured that everything remained in place. As a result, nothing was damaged when it arrived. The desktop itself was packaged separately in foam padding. This ensured that it would not get scratched or cracked in transit. If they were taking this much care in the shipping, I felt like it spoke well of what I was about to experience.
It took about an hour to put together from start to finish, which is not bad. It had the required tools for assembly included, even though I used an electric drill. The instructions were easy to read. The booklet provided step by step instructions with diagram, pictures, and cautionary tips and tricks; this made putting the desk and accessories together a breeze. The only thing that would make it better would have been if the parts had labels that clearly identified the components with the corresponding letter and/or number that were shown in the instructions.
There was a mishap with one of the screws, however. It came bent, and I was not able to use it to lock one of the sliding bars into place. This was not a huge deal since it has three other screws in the same location but it did stand out to me because I’m now missing a retention screw and would like for it to be there.
The desk was simple to add accessories too. I added a hook to hold my headphones or my lunch bag; it was a nice touch to the desk. I was worried that the hook would make the desk unbalanced, but this is not the case. I feel comfortable using it. I also added the cord management accessory; it looks great and keeps everything looking nice and tidy.
I love the deep color and feel of the cherry wood and how sturdy the desktop itself is. The desk surface is thick, feels durable, and it has a sleek finish. I have had other desks that are so thin that when you write, it would leave an impression on the surface but that’s definitely not the case here. It’s sturdy and well made for work or play.
I am a big fan of the range of movement. Because I am six-and-a-half feet tall, I have had my share of trying to squeeze my knees under a desk that’s too low. It hurts, and it sometimes has even gotten the material of the underside of the desk onto my clothes. I have also had the experience of having to hunch my back over to see a computer screen on a desk that’s not quite high enough. This desk does not have that problem. I can customize the heights to meet my needs and it is great!
The transition from one position to another is smooth, and the stability of the desk at its top height is impeccable. I expected some sort of jerk or glitchiness when adjusting the height, but that is not the case. It glides up and down smoothly without disturbing anything on my desktop. It’s rather sturdy, and I feel comfortable with it being set at a high position. The desk goes up to 50.9 inches. Given my height, I do wish that it went a bit higher, but the laptop arm extension that I ordered with the desk will be more than tall enough for me to use comfortably (when it arrives; it was back-ordered).
The desk also features good cable management solutions. There’s a large cable raceway that hides my cords, giving the desk a clean look and feel. The cord clips that came with the desk attach to the frame and contribute to that clean look. The cord management system also included a surge protector that enables me to funnel all of my cables, wires, and cords to it. As a result, only one cord leaves the desk and plugs into the wall. Having only one cord run across the floor is huge as it minimizes potential safety concerns.
The desk is incredibly easy to program. I was able to program a comfortable setting for when I am sitting and one for when I am standing in about 30 seconds. I can lock the desk to decrease the chances of people messing with it as they pass by it because it looks cool.
UPLIFT also allows you to choose from a range of customizations to suit your needs. I got the power outlet grommet, which makes it easy for me to plug my phone in and other little electronics. I also got the hanging drawer accessory. It seemed like a good idea when ordering, however when it arrived, I didn’t like how bulky it was and how much space it took up on the desktop. Additionally, I got the rolling wheel attachments which make moving the desk a breeze. When I don’t want the desk to move, I can lock the wheels. When I am interested in moving the desk’s location, I can easily unlock the wheels, move the desk, and lock the wheels again.
Although there are cheaper options on the market, the quality of this desk is worth the price. I’ve purchased other desks in the past and this one far surpasses them. Though I paid less for those other desks, I received a lower grade product which in turn made it not as worthwhile as I initially thought. They don’t hold up as well and weren’t as sturdy, which make the UPLIFT V2 feel all the more worthwhile.
This desk also came with a standing mat (included for free) to make standing more comfortable. This was a nice added bonus. It takes a bit of pressure off of knees while I stand and increases the length of time that I can stand. This is a huge benefit, as standing about 2-4 hours a day is recommended for living a healthy lifestyle. Standing also brings an extra 50 calories per hour, which is a great!
After using the UPLIFT V2 Standing Desk, I would certainly recommend this product. This product has exceeded my expectations. It was well made and easy to out together. There weren’t any surprises, and everything works as described. This was my first UPLIFT product, and based on how this has gone, I can see a plethora of UPLIFT products in my future.
- Easy assembly
- Very well built and is sturdy at top height
- Good range of height adjustment (though tall users may want to invest in a monitor arm or commercial version)
- Great cable management keeps the desk looking clean
- Easy to add accessories
- Wished for a few extra inches at 6-foot-6 height
- Damaged screw
The product described in this article was provided by the manufacturer for the purpose of review.