Guild Wars Overview
Guild Wars: Prophecies, the first game developed by ArenaNet, is the original game in the Guild Wars series. Released in 2005, the game is an instanced MMOG and is free to play without any restrictions with the purchase of the retail box. Since the original release, ArenaNet has release two stand alone 'campaigns' and one expansion: Factions (2006), Nightfall (2006) and Eye of the North (2007).
Guild Wars features cooperative PvE and competitive PvP components, both hosted by ArenaNet. The game depicts the history of the fictional fantasy world of Tyria. Players can group with other players and non-player characters, known as (hired) henchmen or (earned) heroes. PvP combat is consensual, team based, and limited to areas designed for such combat.
- Professions | Ten total from all campaigns: Warrior, Ranger, Monk, Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer, Ritualist, Assassin, Dervish, and Paragon.
- Skill Types | 13 total: Attack, Chant, Echo, Form, Glyph, Pet Attack, Preparation, Ritual, Shout, Signet, Spell, Stance, and Trap.
- International Districts | GW hosts in game international districts, where players in different real world countries may meet in game and group together.
- Specialized Combat | Players may set up to 8 skills to use in combat, and may change those skills while in towns to better prepare for the next combat.
- PvP | 5 modes available: Arena, Guild Challenges, Tournament Play, Alliance Battles, and Hero vs. Hero Battles.