EVE Online Overview
EVE Online is the first class space-faring sandbox MMORPG developed by CCP. Players enter a vast universe housed on a single game server, and filled with planets, ships, asteroids, space stations, moons, wormholes, various complexes, and thousands of other players. EVE lets players choose their own class from hundreds of skills, keeping play free form and fluid, not as restricted and dependent on set skill trees as other MMORPGs do. The same free form method also applies to customizing ships, with hundreds of models, rigs, and subsystems to choose from.
EVE is set over 21,000 years into the future, long after humans exhausted Earth’s resources, and colonized the Milky Way. When a natural wormhole was discovered, which lead to a new galaxy given the name New Eden, humans quickly spread out here establishing new colonies. When the wormhole suddenly collapsed, these colonies were cut off from the Milky Way, and left to their own survival. Those that have are now segmented into five distinct societies, but still with one goal: to survive and prosper.
- Explore a Universe | through a vast stargate network linking 5,000 star systems, or through wormholes leading to 2,500 more star systems.
- Four Major Factions | Amarr Empire, Caldari State, Gallente Federarion and Minmatar Republic.
- Politics & War | The majority of what happens in game is in direct response to what the players do in game, including everything from making allies to making war.
- Free Expansions | EVE is regularly expanded and enhanced, with every expansion pack coming to players at no cost. The current expansion in play is called Crucible.
- Economy & Industry | Mining, manufacturing, and other planetary industries are what keep the in game economy in motion, with everything being player-driven. Science & Technology | Research, invention, and three levels of technology help many people to survive in the aftermath of being abandoned in space, while many others use them to threaten and subjugate the rest.