Every year that Blizzard has conducted a Blizzcon, millions of fans have deeply sighed at the ceiling in contemplation of what they might hear about their favorite titles. This year, dewy eyed fans are hoping their dreams come true in any one of Blizzard's stable of games: World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Overwatch, Hearthstone or Heroes of the Storm. And let's not forget those golden oldies that regained momentum this week with Blizz's hiring notice for someone to bring Diablo 2, Starcraft I and Warcraft 3 back to their glory.
It used to be in the old days that there were only three games to wonder about, one usually taking center stage during the opening ceremonies as expansions and major announcements were usually touted one per year. Fast forward to 2015 and it's a whole 'nother ball of wax. There are six major titles vying for the collective imagination of the world and older titles that still make news even these days.
So what do we hope to hear from each IP? Check out our wish list and then leave us your own in the comments.
World of Warcraft
- This year's centerpiece is, of course, the WoW expansion, Legion. While attention for Blizzcon is split among other very popular titles, WoW is still Blizzard's bread and butter. As a result, we're hoping to learn more about Legion's announced (artifact weapons, PvP alterations, Demon Hunters, transmog changes, etc.) and unannounced features.
- We'd like to learn when closed beta testing will begin, hopefully by the end of 2015.
- Details of both the physical and digital collector's editions
- Release date
- WARCRAFT 2!!! (LOL!)
- Expansion announcement, though the one panel suggests that this isn't going to happen with Blizzard preferring to add to Reaper of Souls instead. One can hope, however, based on an earlier job posting for a position specifically for the series
- The addition of PvP and competitive eSports
- More lore behind what happened to Leah and other seminal characters from the series
- The big news this week has been the hope of many that Overwatch will be released for consoles as well as PC. Let's hope so! UPDATE: Game Informer is reporting that GameStop has received word that Overwatch will be released on XBox One and PlayStation 4 as well as on PC. GameStop is also reporting a $60 price tag ending hopes that Overwatch would be F2P.
- New characters and maps
- eSports tie-in
- New cards
- More cooperative features
- New user/player experience to help catch up with long term players
Heroes of the Storm
- Metrics on numbers of players (though this is unlikely given Blizzard's new philosophy of measuring success by engagement over numbers)
- New heroes
- New maps
- New features
Diablo II, Starcraft I, Warcraft 3
- With the advertisement for an engineer to bring Warcraft 3, Diablo 2 and Starcraft 1 back to "glory", it would be cool to hear about tablet and / or mobile versions of these classics and enhanced editions for PC
- Players have been asking for this for years. How cool would it be if Blizzard announced that strategy game Warcraft 4 would bridge the gap between the end of WoW and the beginning on WoW 2!! Hey, dreamers gotta dream, right!?
So that about wraps up our hopes for Blizzcon this year. We'll have hands on reports from Bill who will be on site for the convention and live blogging of the major panels being held this year to see how many of our wishes come true.
What about you? What do you hope to hear, if anything, at Blizzcon 2015? Leave us your thoughts in the comments.