Dungeons & Dragons Online Overview
Dungeons & Dragons Online is the premier MMORPG based on the original Dungeons & Dragons tabletop RPG created by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson and first published in 1974, which has been an inspiration for almost every fantasy game since then. Using the D&D 3.5 ruleset as its base, DDO puts players into the Eberron story setting, onto the land of Xen’drik, where magic drives technology, political factions constantly struggle for power, and where action, adventure, and dangerous creatures lurk around every corner of this wild, untamed land.
DDO lets players choose to roll characters from the usual list of fantasy races, such as Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings, but also introduces some new playable races to the MMORPG genre, such as the Warforged, Half-Orc, and Drow. Many familiar classes are also included, such as Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, and Wizard, and DDO also allows multiclass characters, and for Prestige characters, such as Warchanter (Bard), Kensai (Fighter), Knight of the Chalice (Paladin), and many others.
Most everything else you expect in an MMORPG can also be found in DDO, and Turbine is constantly updating the game with new material, fixes, and upgrades. Menace of the Underdark will be the next expansion pack launching 25 June 2012, and will add 3 Forgotten Realms adventure packs to the game, along with the Druid class and increased level cap (25). What’s more, DDO is and will remain free-to-play!
- Dungeons & Dragons | Eliminating the need for hours of DM and player character prep time, players can adventure in the famed D&D world almost anytime they want!
- Classes | Artificer, Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Favoured Soul, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard.
- Races | Drow, Dwarf, Elf, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Halfling, Human, Warforged.
- Active Combat System | Combat is skill-based and tactical through the use of collision mechanics, where players may dodge, tumble, block, and aim for proper fighting success.
- Adventure Packs | Also known as modules, these are additional content packs added regularly to the game, giving players more quests, adventure areas, and loot.
- Dungeon Master | For more immersion into the D&D world, quests come with a narrator, including the voices of Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson!