To craft or not to craft: that is the question everyone asks when starting a new mmorpg. For many players, the act of creating something from scratch provides a vital sense of enjoyment to their gaming experience. In Astellia we understand that while not all players enjoy crafting content, all can benefit from crafting. What we mean by this is whether you are collecting resources from the field, earning high-end components from dungeons, or buying the finished products off the auction house, crafting has a role in every player experience throughout Astellia.
The Crafting System is divided into two categories in Astellia: Eight Crafting Professions & Five Gathering Skills. A player is able to have and use every crafting profession, but may only specialize in one of the gathering skills at a time. Below we will list out each with some details of how crafting & gathering functions.
- Blacksmiths process raw ore into ingots to craft armor and weapons for Warriors & Assassins.
- Jewel crafters process Gems to make Rings, Necklaces, Bracelets and Earrings, all classes use these items.
- Carpenters process Logs into Lumber in order to craft Armor & Weapons for Archers, Scholars, and Mages.
- Leatherworkers process Leather into components such as Leather Straps and Leather Plates that can be used by other professions to make weapons and armor.
- Tailors process Cloth into components such as Clothing, Cloth Covers, and Bowstrings, which can be used by other professions to make weapons and armor.
- Alchemists process Herbs and Roots into a variety of HP & MP Potions
- Archeologists process Relics into Artifacts to make Runes, Star Jewels, and Atra Crystals which are used by all classes.
- Process raw ingredients into food that provides temporary stat buffs.
- Chop down trees to gather logs used in Carpentry.
- Mine rocks to gather ore used in Blacksmithing.
- Mine rocks to gather gems used in Jewelry Crafting.
- Gather roots and herbs used in Alchemy.
- Gather relics used in Archeology.
The general premise of the system is very simple, acquire the proper materials and use them to create the desired items. You increase your gathering skills by gathering, this will allow you to access higher tier resources, and crafting will earn you exp that unlocks higher tiers of crafting recipes. If you do not wish to gather you can, of course, buy materials other players list on the auction house, or you can sell the resources you gather as another source of income in the game.
While most crafting materials come from the open field or vendors, key crafting components only come from dungeons, and of course, those dungeons can provide you with equipment as well. The goal behind this system was to allow multiple playstyles to utilize the crafting system, whether to make quick profit selling materials, investing the time to make finished products for others or to craft yourself the perfect set of equipment. Astellia excels at supporting many different playstyles.
Crafting is definitely not mandatory in Astellia, quest rewards and dungeon loot will be enough to reach the end-game, but through crafting more options are opened up. In addition to this, we have plans for further content after launch that will push the system further allowing players to combine the crafted items into some of the best equipment in the game, but we will share more about that closer to its release.
We hope you have enjoyed this insight into the Astellia crafting system, and we are looking forward to sharing more information as we approach launch. Make sure to keep an eye on our »website« as well as our social media (FB, Twitter), and we will have more to share soon.
Safe Travels Astellians, The Astellia Team