As Bill is always telling me, it's never a slow week in gaming news and this week is no exception. From the EU Final Fantasy Fanfest that our own Rob Lashley attended and killed news wise to Blizzard's big week for updates to a ton of videos showing off some of our favorite and upcoming titles, it was a great week to be a gamer.
Final Fantasy XIV EU Fanfest
Final Fantasy XIV fans got a real treat over the weekend with the EU Fanfest and all the news that came out of it about the upcoming Stormblood expansion and the brand new job: The Samurai. With big combat changes incoming, a stellar cosplay contest, art contest entries on display, a trio of Guiness World Records and a Letter From the Producer Live (come back on Monday for Rob's analysis), there was enough news pouring forth from Germany to keep players and fans of the MMO busy for weeks.
This Week at Blizzard
Blizzard is always great fodder for news in any given week, and this one was no exception. World of Warcraft devs laid out their case for upcoming changes to the legendary drop system in Legion and talked about closing the artifact power gap between players. A preview trailer of the World of Warcraft Chronicle book was released. For both Heroes of the Storm and World of Warcraft, the good news came down that a pair of mounts can be earned, one for each game, simply by playing 15 games as a Warcraft character in HotS with a friend. BOOM! Done! Blizzard also announced that it would be ending support for Windows XP and Vista in all of its games.
Videos that Twitterpate
This week a ton of game play videos and other trailers came out, enough to thrill any gamer:
- World of Warcraft Chronicle Volume 2
- Adventure Quest Open Beta
- Mass Effect Andromeda
- The Surge
- Ghost Recon Wildlands
- Sea of Thieves
- War Thunder
- Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath
- Vikings: Wolves of Midgard
- Revelation Online
This Week in MMORPG.com Features
We do our best each and every week to bring you some of the best features and information about the games that you're most interested in. This week, we brought a host of articles about Final Fantasy XIV from Fanfest EU, some of the first information about weather in Pillars of Eternity 2, a preview of the Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath expansion, and a great review of the Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2. These are just a few of our great articles from any given week. Check out our Features and Articles page for the full list.
Other News of Note
Some of our other newsworthy items to whet your appetite:
- Star Citizen Alpha 2.6.1 is released with multi-region server
- Elder Scrolls Online Morrowind will be available at PAX East for folks to try out
- John Smedley moves to Amazon Game Studio
- Daniel Dociu Leaves ArenaNet
- A sinkhole cropped up in Black Desert Online that swallowed players
- Skyforge headed to PS4
- Pokemon Go adds 80 new critters
- Apocalypse Now RPG ends KickStarter, looks to raise $5M via website donations
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass announced
- Elite: Dangerous Arena stand alone version pulled from sale
- Elder Scrolls Online: 8.5 million units sold
- My.com to take over all development on Armored Warfare