Paul Nadin: My Letter to MMO Santa
Those of us of the United States persuasion are deflating from Thanksgiving, the familiar tunes are back on the radio and Derek at the office is drinking more than usual. We’re coming into that holiday time of year. Grats to all, we made it another spin around the Sun.
We’re on the other side of the heady rush that is the MMO Autumn (or Fall if you prefer), and we’re looking forward to every capital city getting a sprinkling of snow and being wrapped in a festive ribbon. I like events like these in MMOs, they never seem to get old for me. For some I have memories going far back enough that it feels like a tradition, and I’d miss it if it wasn’t there.
If you’re anything like me, you’ve spent more time than you’d like to admit questing on days that others were spending with family and loved ones. Even that guy who was always online wasn’t online, and you get the creeping suspicion that maybe you were that guy all along…
As an adult, this time of year is a time for reflecting on all the good things in our lives, giving thanks for what we have and showing our loved ones that we appreciate them.
Since all that is a given, I’ve decided to go the other direction and regress to childhood. Back when the holidays were about getting stuff, having chocolate for breakfast and generally running about screaming.
So here is my list I’m sending to Santa of all the things I want for my MMO on the 25th:
1. The top tier Founder’s Pack. Sure, I still get early access with the less expensive option, but in five years’ time that title is really going to turn some heads!
2. All in game beverages to be changed to that red cup Starbucks use this time of year. How else am I meant to get immersed in the game if it doesn’t accurately reflect real life?
3. Full loot PvP snowball fights. I honestly don’t know what I mean by ‘full loot’ in this scenario, but it feels right. Footprints to be on the roof of my player housing when I wake up.
4. The cookies and milk I crafted with my cooking skill should be gone too.
5. Loot drops to come in festive wrapping, and to get to open one early. If you don’t let people open at least one present a day early than, quite frankly, you are a grinch. There, I said it.
6. Bring Back Old School Raiding.
7. To completely transform my life so I have time for Old School Raiding.
8. For everyone on the forums to be able to see the other person’s point of view. This one might be a long shot, but anyone who can deliver to so many houses in one night must have links with Amazon, and Amazon own Twitch, I’m not sure where I’m going with this but Bob Ross is probably involved.
9. A really good mobile companion app. I feel like we’ve waited long enough for this, consider it my gift to the world.
10. Lightsabers in every game. Star Wars is coming out and there are tie-ins with everything. I saw a Death Star tea strainer today, surely my Paladin can get a lightsaber? A gold one to go with his outfit.
11. A load of premium currency for my favorite Free to Play game so I can get what I really want.
There’s my wish list. I have been ever so good this year, I did all my dailies and explained the boss fights to PuGs, and I didn’t roll need unless I really needed the drop.
Happy Holidays! Remember, if you’re going to be drinking, make sure to have a designated friend with you to post in global chat.