Snail Games has announced a new publishing division called Wandering Wizard and its first task is to bring Outlaws of the Old West to players around the world. Developed by Virtual Basement, the game is described as "an open world sandbox crafting and survival game" that seeks to be "the ultimate Western experience". Players will find themselves in the midst of the American Old West where they'll have to "hunt, forage, mine and craft for their very survival". Outlaws of the Old West will be on Steam Early Access on March 12th.
Snail Games has been instrumental in publishing games including Age of Wushu, Dark & Light, PixArk and other mobile and PC games. Some of the characteristics of servers and gameplay mechanics seem very similar to those found in Dark & Light. Developers at Virtual Basement have also worked on titles including ARK: Survival Evolved and Citadel: Forged with Fire.
Here are the main features of Outlaws of the Old West:
- Map Exploration – Travel as a single or team up to form a group and explore a vast 12k x 12k open world map with deserts, plains, swamps, and mountainous tundra terrain with appropriate corresponding weather and temperature, animals, gear and assets.
- Player Driven Narrative – Players decide the direction of the server(s) and the game. With the morality system, players can build a reputation as a region defender, protecting other players and settlements from NPC or Player gangs – or become a cold-blooded outlaw terrorizing the locals.
- Settlement Customization – Construct unique camps, settlements and forts or even become the mayor of a town, where weary travelers can rest their heads, and aspiring traders both players and NPCS alike can set up shop to sell their wares.
- Player Driven Economy – Explore the countryside in search of wealth to establish a foothold in the area. Players can mine for gold, trade with players, purchase deeds for player run shops, vendors and auction houses as well as become a hired gun/guard and much more.
- Crafting – Craft a wide array of tools and firearms to survive the harsh wilderness, and defend those who are important to your player.
- Harvesting – For nourishment, players must live off the land – they can fish, hunt and tend to livestock.
We don't have many other details about Outlaws of the Old West, but we'll be tracking down interviews and Early Access keys for when the game goes live.
Keep your eye on the Outlaws of the Old West site over the next. couple weeks to learn more.