Mark Kern is gauging interest for "Ember", what he is calling the spiritual successor to Firefall's original design. According to the Change.org petition he has posted, the original vision for Firefall was lost in development over the years and "can't be played today". As a result, he is interested in bringing Ember to life.
Ember follows the principles and vision of the original game design.
- A shooter first, with great movement, guns and abilities. Skill matters. Progression is horizontal, opening up more options and abilities and gameplay.
- Mining and gathering of resources with the aid of huge, autonomous mechs. Resources matter, and finding and gathering them is fun.
- Build and customize your own "omniframe" suit and weapons system. Customize them to your unique needs and the role you want to fulfill.
- Sandbox world. Terraform the planet over time, create pockets of habitable areas and build refineries, defenses, and bases of operation.
- Play a simulated world, with dynamic events. Go anywhere, do anything. Events will unfold around you as you play--perhaps even war.
You can check out Kern's petition at Change.org.