The Pathfinder Online site has been updated with a meaty post to announced to backers and fans that the alpha is officially underway. In addition, and with the beginning of the Early Enrollment test slated to begin soon, the team has announced a change to the land rush that players were expecting. Wanting to hand players a robust and fun way to feel that their land acquisition was meaningful, the team has created something called The War of Towers.
For those who skip the video, here's a quick summary of the mechanics involved:
- Towers have a PvP window. When the window is open, the Hex the Tower is in does not inflict Reputation penalties for PvP. While the window is open there is a capture area near the tower, probably outlined by a wall or similar structure. Standing in that area gives your company points towards controlling the tower; the first company to cross a certain threshold gains control of the tower. If you are defending a tower you control, you lower everyone elses points for each person in the control area.
- All the Towers indirectly controlled by a Settlement share the same PvP window. Each Tower hex must be attacked and defended individually but they all open and close their PvP windows at the same time.
- Settlements will chose when their PvP windows open. The more Towers a Settlement indirectly controls the longer the PvP window will be.
- Uncontrolled Towers are effectively always open to PvP.
- There is no geographical relationship between Towers and Settlements. Companies aligned with a Settlement could control Towers halfway across the map. Companies aligned with some other Settlement might control the towers in Hexes adjacent to a given Settlement. The only thing that matters is number of Towers indirectly controlled, not their location.
Read more on the Pathfinder Online site and check out the War of Towers video below!