A new post has been made on the official WildStar forum that lays out exactly what happened during last week's Name Reservation System. As many readers know, the system, according to Carbine, "buckled" under the weight of the number of people attempting to access the site. The post explains what happened and winds up with the promise that the team will be working with any and all users who experienced issues.
Our team was poised for the crush of players when we opened the Beta on the 8th, and we didn’t have a single hiccup with that system at all. We’ve processed hundreds of thousands of keys and had a ton of concurrency on that website, and it always held up under the load. Some tech context; we are hosting most of the guts of the key distribution page (and our Name Reservation System) on Amazon AWS instances. So, we were prepared to scale up as need be, but at that time we just didn’t need to. Everything seemed fine.
What happened Tuesday was a series of events starting with the release of our Raids DevSpeak early in the morning. The team pushed that out the door, and then switched gears to ready themselves to publish the NRS webpage. In hindsight, this was a Bad Plan™. Our QA team was already stretched thin in order to get both pages tested on the already-tight, pre-launch deadlines. With the raids drop we drove lots of traffic to our site, and encouraged players to download the various multimedia assets we had available for them. We also published a 13MB banner asset on the WildStar-online homepage.
Read the full, lengthy post on the WildStar forum.