Roberts Space Industries will be offering fans (with modding skills) a chance to win $30,000 and have their own starship design appear in Star Citizen.
'The Next Great Starship' is a new YouTube series set to begin on January 31 (6PM ET/3PM PT) 24 modding teams will have their creations judged by a panel of Star Citizen developers, including Chris Roberts himself. Judges will select finalists over the next few weeks (each show will air on Friday at the aforementioned time) and narrow things down to 15 finalists, with the fan community given an opportunity to vote one team into the final 16.
Work-in-progress videos will be judged by the panel in each show after this point and modding teams will face elimination over the course of the series, leading up to the finale on June 7. Of course, judges can save teams from being eliminated and the fan community will also be able to vote on teams that should stick around or be eliminated.
While $30,000 and having your own ship may be the grand prize, there are a numerous other prizes up for grabs, including:
- GRAND PRIZE: $30,000 in cash for the team members. Your Great Starship is included in Star Citizen and each member of your team receives the first production models off the press! As well as Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite, Maya Premium and one high-end AMD based system with Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
- SECOND PLACE: $10,000 in cash for the team members. Alienware laptop, Autodesk Maya 2014, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
- THIRD PLACE: $5,000 in cash for the team members. Autodesk Maya LT, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
- SPECIALTY PRIZE: (to the most valuable player out of the remaining contestants among the final three teams voted on by the judging panel): One Cintiq Companion, the new Windows 8 “Make the World your Studio” tablet from Wacom
- FINALIST TEAMS 4 THROUGH 16: $250 in RSI Credits (non-transferable/non-refundable)