Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium Games announced The Next Great Starship Modding Competition at Citizen Con this week. A huge initiative for players to create their own epic spaceship to be featured in Star Citizen has massive cash prizes for the winners. Read on!
The preliminary challenge involves the making of a fully designed wave particle cannon submitted via YouTube to a nine member judging panel including Chris Roberts and others from the CIG design and art teams, Crytek, and even some to-be-named celebrity judges. Those initia entries will then be narrowed down to a final 16 and one of the 16 will be voted in by Star Citizen backers. Once all this is done, those 16 finalists will begin making their Starship entries, and beginning on January 31st of 2014, episodes of The Next Great Starship will begin airing once a week on the RSI YouTube channel.
Judges will then narrow it down to the final two contestants, who will then compete live in front of the judging panel during the final episode which will take place in Los Angeles. What will the winners receive after this massive competition?
- GRAND PRIZE: $30,000 in cash for the team members. Your Great Starship is included in Star Citizen and each member of your team receives the first production models off the press! As well as Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite, Maya Premium and one high-end AMD based system with Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
- SECOND PLACE: $10,000 in cash for the team members. Alienware laptop, Autodesk Maya 2014, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
- THIRD PLACE: $5,000 in cash for the team members. Autodesk Maya LT, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)
- SPECIALTY PRIZE: (to the most valuable player out of the remaining contestants among the final three teams voted on by the judging panel): One Cintiq Companion, the new Windows 8 "Make the World your Studio" tablet from Wacom
- FINALIST TEAMS 4 THROUGH 16: $250 in RSI Credits (non-transferable/non-