We found out about the Evon Gnashblade and Ellen Kiel political match-up last week via some viral press teasers, but today ArenaNet is pulling back the curtain completely and detailing next week's big Guild Wars 2 update: Cutthroat Politics. Read on for the complete press release and details.
In Cutthroat Politics, players will have the opportunity to support one of two candidates vying for a vacant seat on the Captain’s Council of Lion’s Arch. Ellen Kiel, a war hero, and Evon Gnashblade, a prominent merchant, both believe they have what it takes to sit on the powerful ruling council and strike a lucrative trade agreement with the merchants of the Zephyr Sanctum. But players will ultimately decide, using support tokens and coins to further the cause of their favorite candidate between July 23 and Aug. 5. Check out their individual ad campaigns at https://www.guildwars2.com/en/
The unique, player-driven outcome of this update will have a lasting impact on the Living World. Players will also experience other new events, rewards and features in the release, including:
- Southsun Survival: Armed with only a bow and whatever supplies they can scavenge, players will face off against each other in a battle to be the last one standing. Karma, coins and the chance to receive an exclusive Back Item also are at stake in this new competitive activity.
- Aspect Arena: Players can pick one of the Aspects of Lightning, Sun, or Wind and face off in teams to collect crystals in a new PvP activity. Each Aspect grants different skills with which to maneuver and fight.
- Candidate Trials: Players can test their battle skills alone or with a group in support of their chosen candidate by taking on waves of Aetherblade pirates. Support tokens and loot – even a rare chance at an Aetherized weapon – will be granted to those who can hold out.
- Exclusive Back Items: The Desert Rose and Zephyr Rucksack will be available as rare drops from the Southsun Survival and Aspect Arena activities, respectively.
- Mini Ellen Kiel and Mini Evon Gnashblade: By completing the Gnashblade Supporter and Kiel Supporter meta achievements, players will unlock miniature versions of the respective candidates.
- Catapult Mastery: Investing points in this new World vs. World ability line will increase damage done to walls, inflict extra damage against other siege weapons, increase the attack radius and unlock a new skill.