Vivendi has recently posted something on their MEO site detailing their "time based advancement" system. Here is what it said:
One of the many ways to advance in Middle-Earth Online is the unique Time Based Advancement feature, which lets you make the most of the time you can't be in the game. Continue to advance your character's stats even when you're signed off!
- Character stats advance in real time, whether you are playing or not.
- When one stat is finished training, just log in and select the next stat you want to improve.
- Not being able to log in and play a considerable amount of time every day won't mean that you're left hopelessly behind your more active friends.
- Reduces repetitive game-play, or grinding, associated with increasing stats.
- Players who log in after a long absence will benefit from a small advancement bonus.