Miguel Caron, most recently working with Behaviour Interactive on Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade, has announced that he is now working with Carbine Studios to, among other things, work to find future projects that are in accordance with NCSoft's overall vision.
I work with the leadership team to support effective studio operations, develop effective protocols and business processes, and identify new and unique opportunities for future projects, which are in line with both the studio and NCSOFT’s WEST business aims and vision.
The announcement was made via Mr. Caron's personal Facebook page.
A new website has cropped up (thanks, Slapshot1188!) for a company calling itself Ub3rgames that is seeking to acquire the license to Darkfall Online, currently held by its original developer Aventurine. According to the "About Us" section, Ub3rgames, if successful in its acquisition, will relaunch the game under the name Darkfall: New Dawn.
Our approach for this project is as a group of 10 professional developers with previous experience ranging from running multiplayer games, administrating MMO servers and developing large scale high demand infrastructure for businesses. This group formed in order to acquire and rerelease Darkfall Online in today’s market.
The site is packed with the team's vision for what they will do to 'fix' Darkfall to keep the strength..and to fix its flaws". Each of the game's systems will ultimately be given its own space with the vision of what has worked and what may potentially need improvement.
Darkfall: New Dawn will utilize a business model similar to Minecraft and Mount & Blade. It will begin with 10,000 copies available for 20 Euro with one month of subscription time included. Box pricing will gradually increase to a maximum of 40 Euro.
There is much more to see, so be sure to swing by the Darkfall: New Dawn site.
At first, when I heard about the Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut from inXile Entertainment, I thought it was just a clever branding trick to release the game on consoles. Then I played it, and quickly realized that it’s the true definitive version of the crowdfunded RPG that rocked our socks off last year.
Read more of Bill Murphy's Wasteland 2: The Director's Cut is the Ideal Way to Experience the Desert.
Overwatch fans rejoice! A special beta preview event has been scheduled for this week on Thursday, October 15th from 10:00 am Pacific / 1:00 pm Eastern. The stream is anticipated to last for ninety minutes and is being hosted by a pair of streamers who will be broadcasting the event for the duration.
You can catch the Overwatch Beta Preview on the following Twitch.tv channels:
Source: Overwatch site
The World of Warships team is asking players to help test out German cruisers and Russian destroyers that have recently been added to the game. The test will take place from October 13th through October 19th beginning at 2:00 pm Pacific / 5:00 pm Eastern.
Interestingly, players will have to earn the ships to test through battle. To earn the German Tier V Cruiser, players will need to sink four enemy ships using a Japanese vessel tier IV or higher. To gain access to the Russian Tier V Destroyer, players will be required to sink four enemy ships while in command of an American vessel tier IV or higher.
Read more the the details, including further test period restrictions, on the World of Warships site.
This past week we had the chance to interview Brad McQuaid and Chris Perkins about the work on Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. The game is really in great shape despite not making its Kickstarter, and recently secured the seed funding needed to make Pantheon a reality. MMO fans will have a lot to look forward to as the team has a playable solid core game, gotten its first round of funding, and hit solid internal milestones. Let’s have the guys bring us up to date on the project and give you a few details you may not have heard.
Read more of Garrett Fuller's Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - Taking Shape - An Interview with Brad McQuaid & Chris Perkins.
The Guild Wars 2 site has been updated with a new blog post that proactively warns players of economic instability incoming with the Heart of Thorns expansion due in large part to several new systems put in place specifically for it.
Some of the new systems include salvaging that will potentially reduce output to keep scarcity in play as a major factor in the game's economy. Salvaging rebalance will also provide more rare materials that should, in theory, "even out some of the variation of scarcity we currently have."
Some rewards are being shifted away from dungeons into other pieces of content, while simultaneously giving players unique non-transferable rewards.
Read the full economy article on the Guild Wars 2 site.
A second article on the site deals with Legendary Weapons and how they will come into being during Heart of Thorns. After completing the precursor weapon and attaining the Gift of Maguuma Mastery, a Mystic Tribute and a unique gift that has a direct relation to the Legendary weapon, players will be sent on a secondary journey.
Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns heralds the beginning of the first new set of legendary weapons to be added to the game since its original set of twenty included in the launch of Guild Wars 2. The first three we’ll release are a celestially themed axe called Astralaria, an experimental energy themed pistol called H.O.P.E., and a raven spirit themed staff called Nevermore. It takes a lot of work to craft these legendary journeys for release, so rather than take the time to develop the full set before releasing any of them, we will be releasing new legendary weapons in small groups at regular intervals until the full set of sixteen has been added to the game. Collections for the existing legendary weapons will be available on launch day, while the first three new legendaries will become available shortly after launch, alongside raids.
You can read more about HoT's Legendary Weapons here.
The EU and NA representatives of Skyforge recently returned from a trip to the Allods Team office in Russia to discuss some of the feedback received from their respective communities during the ongoing open beta of the game. A blog post on the site uncovers some restructuring of priorities with specific regard to the North American and European communities.
While the Russian version of Skyforge will generally receive updates slightly before it's NA and EU counterparts, that will not always be true. Case in point centers around the Grand Prix promotion:
For example, after reading all the feedback from the community regarding the Grand Prix promotion and discussing it with the dev team, beginning with the upcoming Law & Order promotion you will place higher more often so you’ll get more than 1 or 2 points per round. We’ll also have the Optimizer 1 and II (bonus Chapel items) replaced with a quantity of Victor’s Medals, and will be moving the Optimizer 1 and II into the Market for sale for Victor’s Medals right away, since there are ways to farm Victor’s Medals in-game as well as through the promotion. This gives players multiple, fair ways to get their hands on bonus chapels even after the promotion ends. These changes were made by the developers with the intent to make the promotion more open and engaging for NA and EU players.
While most details are still in the discussion phase, NA/EU players can look forward to class balance changes for both PvE and PvP, more PvP modes including rated PvP, alterations in repetitive content, gamepad support and more.
Read the full update on the Skyforge site.
For the past couple of Lists, Ripper X and I have brought you the Five Best MMOs for New Players and Five MMOs for Experienced Players. As promised, this week we’re taking a look at five “deep cuts” for the most hardcore of players out there, who are either looking for intense PvP experiences, open world sandbox mayhem, or a glimpse into the history and legacy of the MMO genre. They may not be the most pretty, the most modern, or even the most popular MMORPGs available, but they’re sure to give you a good idea of what hardcore MMOs have to offer.
Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's The List: Five “Deep Cuts” for Hardcore MMO Players.
Gazillion Entertainment has revealed the upcoming content coming with the rebranding of Marvel Heroes for the 2016 iteration of the game. Players have a lot to look forward to with a new story arc, controller support, overhauled graphics and much more.
[B]eginning this December and throughout 2016:
- “Secret Invasion” Story Chapter: Battle alien Skrulls of all shapes and sizes, including the Super-Skrull himself, Kl’rt, who makes his long-awaited, much requested Marvel Heroes debut.
- Controller Support: One of the community’s most requested features.
- Visual Updates: Revamped looks for characters introduced during Marvel Heroes’ 2013 launch window.
- Leaderboards: Something new and interesting to do every night. Tournaments and Seasons will grow out of this eventually.
- Steam Achievements: Players loved the new in-game achievements added to Marvel Heroes 2015 – now, the feature extends to Steam with nearly 100 of them..
- Mac Out of Beta: The Mac version has been in beta for over a year now. Not anymore.
- “All-New All-Different” Material: Keeping things current with what is happening in the greater Marvel landscape to a greater degree than ever, such as the current “All-New All-Different” comics, while still also continuing to honor over 75 years of comic history.
Meanwhile, other exciting material is planned for the months to follow the December launch:
- Savage Land Patrol Zone: A never-ending gauntlet of dinosaurs, sadistic mutates and more!
- Thanos Raid: The Mad Titan makes his Marvel Heroes debut.
- More! Stay tuned for further announcements.
Find out more about Marvel Heroes.
Ethan Casner will be showing off the voxel-based building system ("Ferrocrete") that will be used in Divergence Online. The event is slated to take place on the Divergence Online YouTube on Wednesday, October 14th at 6:00 pm Pacific / 9:00 pm Eastern. During the event, Casner will be building a large complex structure to show off Ferrocrete's versatility.
Be sure to log into the Divergence Online YouTube channel at the appointed time.
Tired of having to raise your character level so you can craft? Chronicles of Elyria allows players to focus on just the areas they want. Finally, you can be a full-time crafter without having to gather or engage in combat.
Read more of our exclusive developer diary from Jeromy Walsh, Chronicles of Elyria: Character Roles & Skill Advancement.
Magerealm players can take it to the mat in the latest addition to the game. In the 5v5 arena, the new PvP mode is based on the classic capture the flag game. Two teams of 5 players each face off and work cooperatively to grab and control flags on the field.
Players are ranked individually in 5v5 Arena and earn personal rank titles as they climb, based on their total wins. The 5v5 Arena rankings will revolve around seasons (a season lasts 28 days). At the end of each season, players will receive a 5v5 Arena Chest with rewards based on their personal rank title. Players can also purchase items from the new 5v5 Arena Shop based on their rank title. Rankings will be reset at the end of each season and a new one will start.
Read more about this classic PvP action mode on the Magerealm site.
The League of Angels team has announced that Bacchus has been released into the game in all his uninhibited glory. He calls the game's warriors to come and join his fight for peace and joy.
In addition, the latest update features a new fairy called a Little Bat. As the name implies it's...a bat and it's pretty small. Lastly, players can get their hands on new Wings of Water.
Find out more about all of the above on the League of Angels site.
Horizons is the first announced expansion for Elite: Dangerous. In a recent 23-second video, Dave Braben wrote that "this is a quick-and-dirty un-edited capture from Horizons from a debug build on one of our dev machines...just zooming out ever faster from a crash site..."
It's the first look at the planetary exploration that will be a large feature of Horizons. Check it out!
EVE Vegas, a community event that is already sold out, is just a couple of weeks away. To give attendees a chance to prepare ahead of time what to go and see, CCP has revealed the event schedule for all of the panels and speeches that will be delivered during the convention being held at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas.
Day 1 - Friday, October 23rd
- 11:00 - 15:00 - Registration on the Planet Hollywood Mezzanine
- 16:00 - 16:30 - Welcome to EVE Vegas - CCP Guard & CCP Falcon
- 16:30 - 17:30 - EVE Keynote - CCP Seagull
- 17:30 - 18:00 - EVE Valkyrie Keynote - CCP Bosun & CCP TerrorShark
- 19:00 - The Pub Crawl Begins - Fleet form up on the Planet Hollywood Mezzanine
Day Two - Saturday, October 24th
Main presentation hall:
- 11:00 - 11:30 - "The First Great War" - Andrew Groen
- 11:30 - 12:00 - Ghost Fitting - CCP Karkur
- 13:00 - 14:00 - The Future of Capitals - CCP Larrikin & CCP Punkturis
- 14:00 - 14:30 - Startup Success - Alekseyev Karrde
- 14:30 - 15:00 - CSM: History, Function & Guide for Players and Future Candidates - Lanctharus Onzo
- 15:00 - 15:30 - The Nomadic Pirate Lifestyle - Aflixion Starr & Xeno Szenn
- 15:30 - 16:00 - Searching for EVE's Illuminati - Matterall
- 16:00 - 17:00 - Structures & Citadels - CCP Nullarbor
- 17:00 - 18:00 - Science Fiction vs Science Fact - NASA JPL State of the Fleet - Max Singularity
- 20:00 - Chateau party begins!
- 11:00 - 12:00 - eSports Roundtable - CCP Logibro
- 14:00 - 15:00 - Capitals Roundtable - CCP Larrikin & CCP Punkturis
- 15:00 - 16:00 - CSM Roundtable - CCP Leeloo & CCP Falcon
- 16:00 - 17:00 - EVE Valkyrie Roundtable - CCP Bosun & CCP TerrorShark
- 17:00 - 18:00 - Structures & Citadels Roundtable - CCO Nullarbor
- 20:00 - Chateau party begins!
Day Three - Sunday, October 25th
Main presentation hall:
- 11:00 - 11:30 - This is the EVE Community - Kira Tsukmoto & Protovarious
- 11:30 - 12:00 - Roleplayers in EVE - Debes Sparre
- 13:00 - 14:00 - Project Discovery - Citzien Science - CCP Scarpia, Emma Lundberg & Attila Szantner
- 14:00 - 15:00 - Worldbuilding in EVE - Mark726
- 15:00 - 15:30 - Data and the EVE Economy - CCP Quant
- 15:30 - 16:00 - Wormhole Hunting - Longinius Spear
- 16:00 - 16:30 - Corp & Alliance Leadership Roles - Nancy Crow
- 16:30 - 17:00 - EVE Vegas 2015 Closing Ceremony - CCP Guard & CCP Falcon
- 11:00 - 12:00 - Community & Events Roundtable - CCP Guard & CCP Falcon
- 11:00 - 12:00 - PvE Roundtable - CCP Affinity
- 13:00 - 14:00 - NPSI Community & Lifestyle - Greygal, Jayne Fillon & Mangala Solaris
- 13:00 - 14:00 - IP Development Roundtable - CCP T0rfifrans, CCP Falcon & CCP Affinity
- 14:00 - 15:00 - Little Things - CCP karkur & CCP Punkturis
- 14:00 - 15:00 - Project Discovery - Citzien Science - CCP Scarpia, Emma Lundberg & Attila Szantner
- 15:00 - 16:00 - Lore Roundtable - CCP Affinity & CCP Falcon
Elsword players have another in the secret dungeon series to explore with the deployment of the Sandor Secret Dungeon. Players will travel through space and time to take on the Behemoth to change the outcome of a future battle.
Others of the secret dungeons have been shown some love as well:
The rest of the Secret Dungeons are getting updated as well. First, the rewards: Bethbites are getting replaced by region-specific stones such as the Sander Stone, Hamel Stone, Velder Stone, etc. In addition, region-specific Coins, updated crafting materials, and exclusive equipment drops will be introduced.
Secret Dungeons will also have fewer stages and uniform difficulty. If players aren't at ready to save the world, there's some loot for those who are lower level as well. Players Lv. 59 and below will have the chance to participate in Secret Dungeon themed events starting today!
Find out more about the dungeon on the Elsword site.
We've got another round up of the best holiday happenings from around the MMO-space. Check these out and get ready for Halloween by jumping into your favorite game.
Trove has a great Halloween costume pack available that allows players to dress as a Shipyard Scavenger or a Monkey King or even a Mecha Dracolyte. In addition, Autumn Pinatas are available in the store that allows players to set up a pinata party where everyone can share in the loot that includes crafting materials, currency, autumn recipes and even a pinata mount!
Aion - Festival planner Octobrunerk is preparing for the upcoming beer festival, Octoberfest. He has invited the top three Brewmasters to Sanctum and Pandaemonium to come to the festival and promised a big reward to the one who can brew the best beer. While not persuaded by the the festival or the promise of reward, the Brewmasters were intrigued by the chance to compete against each other and determine once and for all whose beer is best. Last but not least, let's not forget the Virtual Pumpkin Carving contest!
ARK: Survival Evolved - For about a week toward the end of October, the ARK will be undergoing a brief seasonal change where the air becomes cooler, the days shorter & the nights longer, the moon a certain shade of red, bats and other nasty creatures appearing above-ground, carvable pumpkins sprouting up, rumors of powerful undead beasts roaming the land -- and emerging from the mists, the mythical Dodorex makes its appearance at last astride an army of bloodthirsty zombie Dodos, with limited edition treats for those Survivors brave enough to take on the many tricks of ARK: Fear Evolved!
WildStar - The Halloween-themed holiday event is steeped in lore and adventure, but also has plenty of rewards on offer. There’s a brand new expedition, new public events, and new daily quests to keep you busy. Likewise, there’s plenty of Shade’s Eve for you to keep, including a new companion pet, new costumes, and more housing items than you can throw a Granok at.
Marvel Heroes 2015 is keeping up with the times as defined in the 'all-new, all-different' costumes as seen in Captain Marvel #1. Captain Marvel will be sporting the new look as her default costume in celebration of the inaugural comic. Spider-Gwen will be undergoing a transformation as well once her comic debuts later this month with other characters to follow including Jane Foster, Laura Kinney aka X-23 and Scarlet Witch.
To celebrate the great new looks, players can check out special packs that include all, or some, of the new costumes.
You can find out more and check out the in-game models on the Marvel Heroes 2015 site.
The latest Shroud of the Avatar newsletter has arrived hot off the press that includes the usual boatload of information. Of particular note this week, Portalarium has revealed Jannaford, a new scene devs have been preparing for Release 23. One of the newest members of the team, Richard Matey, has been instrumental in the level design of Jannaford as is evidenced by the great looking screenshots.
In addition to designing the area, Founder Developer rewards and above includes the ability for players to name an NPC in the game. Backers at these levels can submit a request to have an NPC in Jannaford named according to their specifications and a submission form has been released listing the necessary information for potential inclusion.
First, some brief notes:
- NPC visual customization, as you may have noticed, is still at a very early stage in development. Right now for the backers who want to be added to Jaanaford, we cannot offer any visual customization options beyond our standard gallery of NPC models. If you would like to have input over the visual customization of your NPC, please wait for further releases when we can offer this.
- Response to this will be on a first-come first-served basis for each call for responses. Jaanaford in particular is a small town (about the size of Braemar) so there will not be many NPCs. If your NPC doesn’t appear in Jaanaford, feel free to respond again thereafter. We have quite a few towns and cities to populate! (There may even be more towns this month...)
- When responding, please list a first and second choice for profession; all of these are going to be very limited in number.
- NPCs for Jaanaford must be human.
Read this week's information-packed newsletter on the Shroud of the Avatar site.