As Illidan says, "You are not prepared" for my first impressions of the Demon Hunter!
A new World of Warcraft expansion is like our Olympics, or the World Cup. Every few years it swings around and becomes all consuming, until we forget about it a few months after the fact. Some of us, at least.
Read more of Paul Nadin's World of Warcraft: Demon Hunting in Alpha.
MOBAs are the hottest new genre that it seems like every company needs to develop a game for, and NCsoft is no different. The key thing here is that Master X Master, which was announced some years ago and is expected to arrive in the latter half of 2016, isn't just another MOBA. As part of my trip to Korea to check out NCsoft's headquarters in Pangyo, South Korea, we also attended the annual Korean video game trade show G Star in Busan which is just like PAX in Seattle but with way more booth babes. Amid the hustle and bustle of the show floor, I was given roughly a half hour of hands on time with Master X Master, including a preview of its PvE and PvP elements.
Read more of Steven Messner's Master X Master: More Than Just Another MOBA.
Daum EU has announced that the first European / North American / Oceania closed beta event will begin on Wednesday, December 16th and run through Tuesday, December 22nd. Players will be able to choose from Warrior, Sorceress, Berserker, Ranger, Wizard or the Tamer classes. To show off the newly-included Tamer, Daum has posted a brand new video to show off the Tamer and the class abilities.
For Black Desert Online’s first Beta, several improvements have been made based on community feedback from the alpha stage. Players accessing the game in a few weeks will be able to observe the following changes and features:
- Improved character customization, including 30 new skin tones, 40 new hair colors, new beards, and a bald option for male characters
- Improved balance of character classes
- Improved weather cycles, including darker and occasionally stormy nights and lanterns that can be purchased from NPCs to help players in the dark
- Newly enabled features such as the much requested walking mode and more
- Adjustment of HP Potions to improve the PvP challenges
- Fully localized English text
- Level cap set to 50.99% with PVP unlocked at level 30
Get guaranteed access (via select pre-order packages) to the beta by checking out the pre-order page for Daum EU's buy-to-play Black Desert Online.
LVR Studio has sent word that its KickStarter initiative to raise funds for Pangaea: New World, a post-apocalyptic action MMO, has officially kicked off. The team is looking to raise $250,000 to complete the game for eventual release on PC, Mac, Playstation 4, and XBox One at the end of 2016.
Fans of the genre will find many interesting features in Pangaea:
- Dynamic quests – quests you perform can create additional quests for other players.
- A wide choice of skills and professions
- "Real" trade - market is filled with products exclusively from the hands of the players.
- Interesting anomaly system
- Smart ecosystem - complete dependence of all members of the flora and fauna from one another.
- Unique map, divided into special geozones
- Fascinating leveling of character
- Live interaction with other players
- Living World - constant migration of fauna and dependence from geozone
- Smart monsters
- Co-op up to 30 people
- PVP and PVE mode
Check out the Pangaea: New World KickStarter page for more information or head to the game's official web site to learn more.
The Gloria Victis team has sent word that a new update, the one that will move the game into alpha, is being deployed today that will see several significant changes incoming. Players can look forward to an overhauled inventory, guilds, NPC shops, buff improvements, performance enhancements, new locations and NPC enemies to name a few.
The buffs system also has been redesigned, so now players can use dozens of meals, beverages and potions to earn helpful effects. Buffs for conquering and controlling the locations have been implemented as well, giving an additional reward for domination in the war of nations and greatly increasing the meaning of the territory control system. The latter received numerous improvements as well, such as implementation of the fortifications repair mechanics or a reworked upgrades window.
Check out the full update notes on the Gloria Victis site.
It's that time of year when little elves come along while everyone is still sleeping off the turkey inhaled the day before...in the United States anyway. In their tiny hands, they carry the news that Black Friday has arrived and with it, deals of epic proportion for the savvy gamer. We've gathered together as many Black Friday deals from the games you love and put them in a one-stop-shop for your reading pleasure.
Read more of our Black Friday Deals for the Savvy Gamer.
Fans of action RPGs will be pleased to hear that Neocore has announced that The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing will be released for XBox One on Tuesday, December 1st.
This Gothic-Noir Action RPG series has gathered quite the fanbase on PC, so it’s a logical next step to bring young Van Helsing and his ghost companion, Lady Katarina to the console gamers as well.
Experience Borgovia, the land filled with monsters and corrupted by weird science! Level up, defend and upgrade your lair, gather clues and loot, enjoy the witty, self-aware story, and most importantly: prepare to hunt with your trusty controller!
Find out more on The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing developer blog.
To celebrate ELOA’s official launch on November 24th, we have teamed up with the ELOA team to give away ELOA Official Launch Gift Keys. This special gift key will give you Server Chats and an Eva's Survivor Pack. Get your free gift key now!
Each of these keys will grant you:
Recently, I decided to try out EA’s Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, a new Star Wars mobile game out on Android and iOS. For whatever reason, EA marketed this one as a collectible card game, which has led to some confusion, but this game is more comparable to a game like Marvel: Avengers Alliance. (Editor's Note: or Dungeon Boss, for those like Rob and Bill who are addicted to that...)
Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes First Impressions.
ARK: Survival Evolved players are invited to take part in a Thanksgiving event in game that begins today and will run through December 1st. Players can check out the Turkey Trials where they are challenged to hunt and find Super Turkeys that have been released throughout the game world.
By harvesting sufficient Super Turkey Wishbones from these bloodthirsty, genetically-modified creatures, players can craft their very own stylish "Chieftain" Hat, or choose to summon the ‘god-like’ DodoRex creature to do their bidding for a limited period of time. So, go forth Survivors, and hunt down those Turkeys!
Read more on the ARK: Survival Evolved site.
UPDATE: We reached out to Blizzard Entertainment and have confirmed that both Chris Robinson and John Lagrave are still with the company and World of Warcraft. These advertised positions are considered "openings for additional people."
The Blizzard corporate web site has been updated with three key positions on the World of Warcraft team: Art Director, Assistant Art Director and Lead Producer. Currently, Chris Robinson is the Art Director and John Lagrave is listed as the Lead Producer for WoW. Whether these two are moving internally to other Blizzard projects will remain to be seen.
World of Warcraft players will be interested to hear that Gnome Hunters are indeed going to be a reality when Legion launches. These tiny adventurers will start their epic journey with their first pet, a Giant Mechanical Rabbit. Goblins and Gnomes will have the special ability to tame mechanized creatures with other races participating via a tool created through Engineering.
For example, one rare mechanostrider requires you to create a special punch card that grants access to a closed section of Gnomeregan (we hope you remember the way). Once you locate the clockwork creature, you’ll then need to figure out how to overload its circuits. Solve the puzzle, and you’ll have this magnificent mechanized minion striding by your side.
Read more on the World of Warcraft community site.
Sixteen Hearthstone: Champions of Warcraft will be competing in the World Championships for their share of a one million dollar prize pool and the "esteemed title of World Champion". The tournament will be preceded by several months' worth of Ranked Play sessions, online and on-site tournaments to narrow the tournament competitors, each of whom will take home one-hundred thousand dollars.
Based on feedback from last year’s tournaments, we’ve made the following changes for 2016:
- More local champions. Four tournaments (three Season Championships and one Last Call Invitational per region) across the year will help determine the Hearthstone World Championship invitees.
- No instant byes in Hearthstone Majors. Invited players may have their spots reserved, but they will start in the same round as all open players to ensure a more even playing field.
- More money! We’ve increased the prize pool of the Hearthstone World Championship to a cool $1 million, with a $100,000 prize pool for the each of the nine Season Championships in the Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific.
- More onsite events. With multiple Fireside Gatherings serving as the setting for the Season Preliminaries that lead into the Season Championships, there are more opportunities for you to attend a local event to either compete or cheer on your favorite players.
- Points matter more than ever. With the points decaying after each Championship Season, and the Last Call Invitational qualification relying on total accumulated points, collecting points will give you more opportunities to join the competition at any time.
- Point distribution has been rebalanced. The top placing players in a given event will receive fewer points, and the lower placing players will receive more points. For Ranked Play, this also includes providing points to every player that achieves the Legend Rank in an eligible season.
- More flexible match and tournament formats. We will take the opportunity with this year’s new structure to iterate and improve on the match format from each Championship Season to the next, and encourage other event organizers to be creative with their match and tournament formats as long as they encourage fair competition.
Read more on the Hearthstone: Champions of Warcraft site.
In more Black Friday news, Wild Terra is featuring a set of specials that give some nice in-game items and more for anywhere from 40-70% off the normal price. You can find out more by visiting the official Wild Terra site.
Necromancer Packs are now available for Skyforge players who are interested in participating in what has become a worldwide phenomenon, Black Friday sales events. Necromancer Packs give access to a pair of costumes, a new dance and more. In addition, savvy buyers can grab a Gravicycle that will be given free to all first-time buyers. Check out the video below for more information.
Ubisoft has announced that Might & Magic Heroes Online is now available via the Steam gaming platform. Players can take advantage of special Steam-specific achievements and badges.
Join a faction, chose your hero and select your favorite path: become an impregnable bulwark or a powerful mage with access to very old and destructive spells. But it is a long way to go and you have to deserve your hero reputation first before facing the wreckful evil in the final battle. During your journey through that handcrafted universe, you will solve a huge amount of exciting quests; you will fight dozens of fantastic creatures, you will raise and upgrade your personal army and you will command and run your own towns. Enjoy the deep and fascinating turn-based battle system, alone or with the brand-new cooperative mode – any battle in MMHO is playable with a friend! But there is much more to explore: find and complete powerful artefacts, enter with a group of people special raid provinces or compare your power and skill in duels with other players. One of the biggest, deepest and most colorful games ever made in the Might & Magic universe.
You can find out more on the Might & Magic Heroes Online Steam site.
The last few On the Table articles have focused on Wizards of the Coast products. In this edition Rob takes a look at a newer RPG series from Fantasy Flight Games. The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse.
Read more of Rob Lashley's On the Table - The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse.
Recently, I’ve been diving back into Elder Scrolls Online with renewed fervor. It’s been a while since I really played the game regularly, and while a great DLC the Imperial City along didn’t bring me back. I didn’t have a truly active group of PVP friends to play with. Conversely, Hrothgar and the swell of content that is Orsinium has me logging in daily once more. Here are a few things I think make Orsinium one of ESO’s best content updates.
Read more of Bill Murphy's Elder Scrolls Online: The Best Things About Orsinium.
Throughout the weekend, ArenaNet will be giving thanks to its Guild Wars 2 player community by offering one item per day for free from the Gem Store. A new item will be revealed each day via Twitter that can then be claimed in-game.
You can follow @GuildWars2 on Twitter to see which gifts are available beginning Friday, November 27th.