MMORPG

View Gamelist

Posts: 1262 Joined: 6/11/06
Apprentice Member
kakasaki 
Originally posted by Fuggly

Not illegal yet, it is in the process and has a very long ways to go. Nice topic header to draw people in on something that isnt true YET. Hopefully if it passes it stays in Arizona.

I wouldn't worry. There is no way the Arizona law passes 1st Amendment muster...

Posts: 29 Joined: 12/20/11
Novice Member
Devokan 

Well just respond to a topic with a troll post or something that looks like it on this forum and youll get a warning/suspension.

 

I remember responding to a SWTOR topic beforethe game launched and i stated why i dislike the game and wouldnt play it at launch (i got a warning for trolling)  As a matter of fact it was not trolling and in the end i predicted the future.

 

Rules are to strict.  i used to post alot more under a diffrent account here now i just lurk at times but most of the time go to a other but similar forum.

Posts: 19106 Joined: 9/13/06
Bitter Vetâ„¢
Kyleran 

If this passes I'm going to hell... er, jail I mean.

Posts: 1667 Joined: 8/11/08
Advanced Member
Karahandras 
Originally posted by RefMinor
There was a report on a major UK news channel about trolling and they basically described harassment by social media text etc. Meanwhile away from the real world of normal people in the MMO universe to troll is at most saying something nasty about a game someone else likes in a way that will get them angry and is usually just having a different opinion to them.

I believe a couple of people have already served jail time, but as you said that's 'real world' trolling not the stuff here i.e. anything someone doesn't like.

Posts: 7264 Joined: 9/24/07
Tipster
maskedweasel
 
 
Originally posted by Kyleran

If this passes I'm going to hell... er, jail I mean.

I'm pretty sure most people would... given they live in arizona.

 

Not sure how this would even work...  we already contend with moderators that are there to police their personal space of the internet,  so - what, they'll just round up the list of bans from MMORPG.com, see who lives in arizona and then make some arrests?

 

 

Posts: 2344 Joined: 9/26/08
Hard Core Member
dave6660 

I'm writing Janice Brewer to take down her web site because it offends me.

Posts: 5637 Joined: 8/29/08
Steed of Tardcore
DarkPony 

[Mod Edit]

Posts: 158 Joined: 11/17/05
Novice Member
fnorgby 
Originally posted by maskedweasel

Well,  not yet,  but it could be!

 

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/arizona-bill-could-criminalize-internet-trolling-184547052.html

"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."

 

Troll.  Go to Jail.  What do you think?

 

The Supreme Court generally won't allow bans on speech that are content-based, so the "lewd or profane" part will not fly.  They have allowed bans on obscenity, but it's not easy to craft a law that will pass the Supreme Court's test for this kind of thing.

The ultimate evidence that this won't survive a court challenge is the very tone of this discussion -- if the community is concerned that otherwise normal speech would now put you at risk of criminal charges, then the law will be seen to have a "chilling effect".  If you think forums will be empty, that's evidence that the law is FAR too broad.

tl;dr: Don't worry about it.  It's unconstitutional on its face.

Posts: 1217 Joined: 3/06/04
Novice Member
Thorbrand 
Originally posted by fnorgby
Originally posted by maskedweasel

Well,  not yet,  but it could be!

 

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/arizona-bill-could-criminalize-internet-trolling-184547052.html

"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."

 

Troll.  Go to Jail.  What do you think?

 

The Supreme Court generally won't allow bans on speech that are content-based, so the "lewd or profane" part will not fly.  They have allowed bans on obscenity, but it's not easy to craft a law that will pass the Supreme Court's test for this kind of thing.

The ultimate evidence that this won't survive a court challenge is the very tone of this discussion -- if the community is concerned that otherwise normal speech would now put you at risk of criminal charges, then the law will be seen to have a "chilling effect".  If you think forums will be empty, that's evidence that the law is FAR too broad.

tl;dr: Don't worry about it.  It's unconstitutional on its face.

You can already be fined for normal speech in public if others find it offensive.

Posts: 373 Joined: 2/21/09
Advanced Member
Remains 

Pretty amazing if it would go through.

Imagine the trolling potential for anyone who DOESNT live in Arizona: just do some quality trolling -> get someone from Arizona to troll back -> watch them go to jail.

"U mAd broOOo...?!"  

Posts: 67 Joined: 9/25/09
Advanced Member
DaKurlzz 

Basically everyone who plays the MOBA genre, will be sent to jail. /Fail

Posts: 2586 Joined: 12/10/08
Novice Member
Unlight 

Anything can be construed as harrassment depending on your perspective.  Besides, I don't think that anyone should have the right to not be offended.  What a boring world it would be if everyone was forced to censor themselves, lest they give offense to some thin-skinned ninny and be prosecuted.  I'd probably have to stop talking altogether (*waits for the cheering*).

 

 

Posts: 427 Joined: 6/30/11
Novice Member
Sythion 
Originally posted by Gajari
Originally posted by korent1991

since everyone who says something you don't agree with is a troll today and since this is an excuse for everything...

The whole population will end up in jail.

Exactly. 90% of people on the internet don't even realize what trolling ACTUALLY is, and even fewer actually pull off real trolling attempts well.

People throw the word around as a replacement for "idiot" these days, so that being the case, calling someone else a troll is actually trolling in itself.

Yup. Whole population.

This is ironic, because I once got a warning for trolling because I called someone a troll.

Posts: 3879 Joined: 9/15/10
Elite Member
Amjoco 

Imagine what Arizona would do to you if you were an illegal trolling the internet. lol

Posts: 1430 Joined: 1/13/10
Novice Member
DLangley 

Everyone please remember that discussing politics is against the ROC. Thanks!

Posts: 4772 Joined: 4/03/12
Elite Member
GeezerGamer 

Politics<>Law

Posts: 3857 Joined: 4/17/06
Apprentice Member
Aelfinn 

Difficult to enforce, difficult to keep it fair, difficult to even define properly.

I'd be all for the idea if I thought it would be at all effective in keeping reprehensible behavior down, but I strongly suspect that it will either simply be too weak to have any affect, or be homing in on people that simply don't deserve legal censure.

Posts: 9540 Joined: 10/01/03
Old School
Dekron 

Problem?

Posts: 1836 Joined: 8/06/11
Apprentice Member
StonesDK 

Soon you will have to fill out one of these

Courtesy of Anonymous

Posts: 1405 Joined: 5/01/09
Apprentice Member
korent1991 
Originally posted by Sythion
Originally posted by Gajari
Originally posted by korent1991

since everyone who says something you don't agree with is a troll today and since this is an excuse for everything...

The whole population will end up in jail.

Exactly. 90% of people on the internet don't even realize what trolling ACTUALLY is, and even fewer actually pull off real trolling attempts well.

People throw the word around as a replacement for "idiot" these days, so that being the case, calling someone else a troll is actually trolling in itself.

Yup. Whole population.

This is ironic, because I once got a warning for trolling because I called someone a troll.

It's common on this forums..

 
Post in this thread 
(Your post will appear at the end of the thread, regardless of which page you are viewing)

Post as an existing mmorpg.com user:

Username:
Password:
«PREVIOUS PAGE NEXT PAGE»
3 Pages « 1 2 3 »
FORUM ROOT MOBILE GAMES
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Cyber Creations Inc.

Switch to Full Website