In another Turbine dev blog post in the continuing avalanche of material being produced as Update 2 nears, Tim “Raskolnikov” Lang writes about changes coming to the character panel. Acknowledging that the character panel has turned into a "rat's nest" over the years, Lang details changes the team has in mind including moving the cosmetic panels into their own UI panel.
Amlug and I worked together on the original spec and came up with several core goals:
- Find a way to condense the stats into “Basic” and “Advanced” groups so as not to overwhelm players with stats that aren’t immediately relevant.
- ie; Does a new player really care about their “Tactical Critical Hit Avoidance”?
- Update the tooltips for each of the stats so they explain exactly what they do and which classes care about them, as well as making them readable by humans.
- Separate out the Cosmetic Inventory into its own section.
- Remove tabs to avoid feeling overwhelmed when first opening the Character panel.
- ie; When you open the Character Journal, how many tabs do you see? Fifteen. Fifteen tabs from the moment you hit ‘C’. I mean honestly, you start off on the ‘Character’ tab (bottom tabs) of the ‘Character’ tab (top tabs) of the Character Journal. Unacceptable.
Read more here.