Guild Wars 2 is the sequel to ArenaNet’s flagship title, Guild Wars. GW2 aims to fix a lot of what’s “wrong” in the MMO world. With reworked combat mechanics, a focus on Dynamic Events, voiced quest dialog, several new professions, fan-favorite races, and the massive open world of Tyria, Guild Wars 2 is far more epic in scope than the original… while still retaining the F2P business model. The reliance on a holy trinity of class-roles is gone too, with every profession in GW2 being able to take on several roles, including that of a healer. On top of it all, there are also several unique forms of PvP for the competitive gamer: from match-made contests that any gamer will be familiar with to massive World vs. World vs. World wars that pitch entire servers against one another. ArenaNet hopes there is something for everyone in Guild Wars 2.
- Dynamic Events | Aimed at making questing more interesting than killing ten rats, Dynamic Events are area-wide quests that scale based on the amount of people participating and can set in motion a chain reaction that spans an entire zone. Players will always have something new and exciting to do when they log in, from stopping a band of invading centaurs, to hunting down a massive ice wyrm with the Norns.
- Unique Combat Mechanics | Each profession has both weapons and spells to use, and each weapon has its own skills as well. Players will be able to blend their skills to create powerful interactions (fire arrows throw a wall of fire to create flaming arrows), and every class is capable of being a healer, ensuring that you’re never waiting around for a “priest” to complete content.
- Personal Story | At character creation, players will set up their personal biography for their hero, which will inform their entire story throughout the scope of GW2, maximizing replay value and ensuring that your character feels like a character, and not just an avatar with shiny armor.
- WvWvW PVP | A part of the Endgame, we don’t know much about WvWvW PVP yet, other than the fact that it will allow hundreds of players from three different servers to compete against one another in a massive battle with siege weapons and destructible environments for some pretty extreme server-wide bonuses that are bestowed upon the winner.
- Free to Play | Guild Wars 2 will continue the tradition of its forebear by being completely free beyond the retail purchase of the game. There will be an Item Shop in the game, but ArenaNet insists that it will only be for cosmetic and convenience items, never for anything that would give one player a competitive edge.
- Warrior | Your sword and board master, the Warrior prefers to be in the thick of battle.
- Ranger | The ranged specialist capable of splitting an ant in two from three hundred yards away.
- Necromancer | Master of the undead and dark arts, you do not want to tick the Necromancer off.
- Elementalist | The magical architect of fire, air, earth, and water. Basically, a raging pyro with a few other tricks as well. But come on… fire.
- Guardian | This profession is hell-bent on protecting his mates, and he does it through causing pain to his enemies as well as warding his allies.
- Thief | Fancy yourself a spry little pickpocket? Or do you just want to get all stabby on someone? This may be the class for you.
- Engineer | Guns, traps, bombs… more guns. The engineer is all about the mechanics (literally) of battle.
- Mesmer | A fan favorite, the Mesmer’s skills involve the manipulation and destruction of its enemies’ minds. He will make you think you’re on fire while you fight mirror images of him and watch him teleport across the battlefield in the blink of an eye.
- Asura | Little, genius, and damned cute, the Asura are technological marvels with an passion for technology.
- Charr | Primal, tribal, and obsessed with warring as a part of their main existence, the Charr are new allies to the people of Tyria… but ferocious ones at that.
- Norn | These massive 9-foot tall Northerners value the spirits of nature more than anything else.
- Sylvari | The Sylvari are a young botanical plant-like race, whose inquisitive nature has brought them to the forefront of the conflict in Tyria.
- Human | The most widespread and influential race in Tyria, the Humans must work with all of the other races to ensure the safety and survival of Tyria.
If you haven't played Guild Wars 2 today and aren't planning to log in until tonight, you won't notice anything different. However, those who played in the hours just after the latest GW2 udpate went live will have any progress gained during their game session rolled back after a seriuos bug without any solution presented itself.
Posted Aug 23, 2016 by Suzie Ford
The Q2 2016 NCSoft financials were released a couple weeks ago, covering the period from April to June, and they weren't pretty for Guild Wars 2. In fact, as far as the game goes, they're pretty lousy - if you consider $4.75 million per month lousy.
Posted Aug 22, 2016 by Suzie Ford
Guild Wars 2 will be turning four years old on August 28th and ArenaNet devs will be heading to social media to share some of their favorite memories of Tyria. Players are also invited to share their memories by using #GW2BDay on Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram.
Posted Aug 09, 2016 by Suzie Ford
After a solid week-plus in Guild Wars 2's much-anticipated update, Out of the Shadows, I've got conflicted feelings. It's nice to (finally) have something new to do again that isn't raid-related, but I don't think the update is the kind of transcendental chunk of content that's going to radically transform people's views of the game.
Posted Aug 08, 2016 by Suzie Ford
I decided to try a new class entirely after not enjoying my current roster whatsoever, and what better place to look than the newest of the bunch, the Revenant?
Posted Aug 01, 2016 by Suzie Ford
ArenaNet has sent word that Living World Season 3: Episode 1 - Out of the Shadows has officially launched on Guild Wars 2 servers. Out of the Shadows gives players an opportunity to recover from the events with Mordremoth and to mourn the passing of characters of note.
Posted Jul 26, 2016 by Suzie Ford
Today marks the launch of Out of the Shadows, the first Living World story episode since Heart of Thorns launched. Our own Jason Winter went hands on and came back with this report...
Posted Jul 26, 2016 by William Murphy
Guild Wars 2's Living World Season 3 is right around the corner and in this week's column, it would be rude not to discuss such an arrival. With Season 2 having begun on July 1, 2014 and culminating in the launch of Heart of Thorns, it's with relief that Season 3 is finally on the horizon. For all the things that I loved about Season 2 and Heart of Thorns, its climax was particularly weak and yet I enjoyed most things leading up to it.
Posted Jul 24, 2016 by Suzie Ford
Guild Wars 2 players wanting to prepare for the release of Living World Season 3 and who do not yet own Heart of Thorns, a requirement for the story's continuation, will be interested to know that the expansion is 50% off from now through July 27th. The Digital Deluxe edition is $37.49 and the Standard edition is $24.99.
Posted Jul 20, 2016 by Suzie Ford
During my time back in Guild Wars 2 after more than a year away, I've come to find perhaps the biggest source of my disengagement with the game: I've been trying to play more-or-less solo, and Tyria simply isn't a world that I can explore on my own.
Posted Jul 19, 2016 by Suzie Ford