Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,067 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,995
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Beta Testing  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Landmark Forum » General Discussion » Landmark = EQ Next design, alpha, and beta

9 posts found
  ReallyNow10

Advanced Member

Don't give us stories. Give us worlds and we will make our own stories.

OP  6/25/14 12:42:09 PM#1
Landmark is just EQ Next in its early stages.  Nice to be able to be part of that, but are some of you people really going to pay them to help them design their own game?  Because, that's what I see happening.
  cerulean2012

Hard Core Member

6/25/14 12:47:02 PM#2

My understanding is Landmark is not EQ Next.  It is a building block game that will have some other things in it.  Yes it is supposed to have some fighting but the main point of Landmark is the design side and yes some of those design could be in EQ Next.

Also it seems the way of the world now to sell access to Alphas & Betas and other games have shown it can be very profitible to do so so yes people will pay for Landmark no matter what stage it is in.

3-4thElf

Novice Member

6/25/14 12:48:54 PM#3

I did a beta for it and enjoyed it for what it is. 

I don't have the time or even mind to play builder games and this makes me sad.. (where the hell was Minecraft 15 years ago?)

That said: at least there's something tangible there. What baffles me is the people who put their money towards crowdfunded games where they have little influence. They hardly even get a promise that the software will launch. 

At least this way if you put your money up you'll get a say in things. Seeing a lot of MMOs hit alpha, beta, and release with a lot of freebie players whining about how this or that wasn't influenced by feedback proper; it's kind of nice seeing it handled a bit differently. Slow, steady, and hitting some technical high marks. 

a yo ho ho

Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

There... are... four... lights!

6/28/14 6:30:15 AM#4
Originally posted by ReallyNow10
Landmark is just EQ Next in its early stages.  Nice to be able to be part of that, but are some of you people really going to pay them to help them design their own game?  Because, that's what I see happening.

Some of "us people" have already paid them and don't regret a cent of their investment.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2

Got a refund: Archeage. First refund since I started MMOs.

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

DMKano

Elite Member

6/28/14 6:35:30 AM#5

This is simply not true.

Landmark and EQN are 2 separate projects, worked on by 2 separate teams at SoE - they are 2 separate code branches.

Yes they do share the same engine, landmark assets will be imported into EQN.

BUT Landmark is NOT Everquest Next "early stages"

They will run on separate servers, and have different features - it is 2 different games.

SoE has said this many times - 2 different games -  and players still see similarities and think "well Landmark is just Alpha for EQN - it has destructible voxels and looks the same" 

/facepalm

Aelious

Elite Member

World > Quest Progression

6/30/14 2:17:48 AM#6

No, I paid them so I could start building my own.  If the in game generation tools being developed for Landmark mimic those being used to build EQN the implications are wonderful.  Come up with a story, build entities on your claim(s) to match and populate it with mobs you can direct with pathing/scripting.  The Storybricks system from a few years ago had mobs reacting to specific items.  If that system is there you could even connect one plot's content to another or gate it off as a chain in a linear story.  One of the future updates will allow plots to be "swapped out" via template switching.  This would allow a creator to have two versions of the same area and change it to match story shifts (e.g. village/village on fire or taken over by monsters).

Beyond this I have a sneaking suspicion that SoE is going to allow players to rent their own Landmark islands similar to how we'll be able to rent virtual H1Z1 servers and change settings/permissions.  A person or a group of people with enough effort and vision could mold that island into a cohesive game world with it's own lore and encounters.  One can hope

Raxxo82

Apprentice Member

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.-Steve Wozniak

6/30/14 2:57:19 AM#7
Excellent! More power to the people

gervaise1

Elite Member

6/30/14 3:44:05 AM#8

Is Landmark EQ Next?

No.

Do we know how similar Landmark will be to EQ Next?

No.

Originally I think it was pretty clear cut but, maybe as it has been fleshed out, the scope seems to have grown. For example I was going to say you have to be a human in Landmark. Things change though so I thought I had better look through the notes again and now it says: "Landmark is designed as a human world. Many more customization options will be." Wil be what it doesn't say.

And as Landmark has grown the release date for Next seems to have been pushed out.

Anyway the official website has the current details of the games.

serialMMOist

Advanced Member

6/30/14 4:22:54 AM#9

Even this far into Landmarks Closed Beta with a massive amount of information out there for the willing and able people are still coming to this conclusion? Before you post a thread you need to do some research.