Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,818 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,599
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Beta Testing  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Landmark Forum » General Discussion » I might try Landmark when it's released and free to play

7 posts found
  Prepared

Advanced Member

OP  6/07/14 3:30:56 PM#1

If I do try Landmark, it's not because the game is good, bad or indifferent to anything else.  It's simply because I'm not a builder of MMOGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Games), I'm a player of them.  I see what Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) is doing, they are making the tools to create the game but also making the tools available to the public to help SOE create things that may be part of the game Everquest next.  It's a great idea but appears to delay Everquest Next release because of so much focus on the tools used to create the game.

From an observer of all of the information available from the company on Everquest Next, I've seen most of it related to Landmark.  This make sense but it appears Everquest Next will be released sometime late next year.  On mmorpg.com, it still shows 2014 but I seriously doubt this will happen considering there is no alpha for the game yet.

The worst news I've seen so far concerning Everquest Next from SOE has been the consideration of no Holy Trinity (Heal, Tank, Damage classes).  In my opinion, this will wreck the game before it's released and I won't even bother looking further at it.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and you're welcome to cut me in half for stating mine, however an MMORPG without the Holy Trinity is something I'd rather not play.  If Everquest Next does not have the Holy Trinity, I will stay with ArcheAge.

Maelwydd

Advanced Member

6/07/14 3:54:56 PM#2

You really need to wait till you see how Storybricks will work and how interactions with NPC's and mobs will work before you dismiss something, especially as you are making assumptions based on very limited information.

Secondly, If there are many skills including skills you might deem 'tanking', 'healing' and 'control' skills as well as 'DPS', and you have a system where you can slot any of these skills, there is nothing stopping anyone making a character that works solely as any one of these roles.

A good example of how it could work is the skill system in The Secret World. Mix and match skills allows you to be a pure  tank, healer or somewhere in the middle.

While you are free to your opinions I believe you have those opinions through lack of knowledge and pre-conceived idea's.

Mahlo

Novice Member

Respectable people... What bastards!

6/09/14 2:54:05 PM#3
How long until open beta and therefore no wipe? Once I can gather knowing I won't lose mats I'll give it a try.
  xTesterx

Novice Member

6/22/14 8:55:14 AM#4

If you really think it will be Free To Play, then you will be in for a nasty surprise. Not only will this game NOT be ftp, but just another P2P/P2W game, but they even already charging money even to play in closed beta.

Their "Free to play" means you just get 7 days access to closed beta (which at this time is still bugged as hell) and when you try to login on day 8, you will see a nice popup dat says you cannot play anymore unless you buy a founders pack , of which the cheapest is $20 and the expensive one even $100.

For a company that claims they are making a real Free to Play (and when you pay its on your terms... yeah right...) this is already a bad start. :(

But charging money even for people to play in beta (which they need to make the game bugfree) just shows what their plans are for the game. They are not interested in experienced people who actually can test the game, but they want money, even before the game is finished.

For me the charging for beta, only proves that this wont be a Free to Play game, but just one of the many crappy already existing Pay to Play or Pay to Win games.

So if you really want to try Landmark when its released and free to play, you wont be playing Landmark at all.

Coman

Advanced Member

6/22/14 9:09:01 AM#5
Originally posted by xTesterx

But charging money even for people to play in beta (which they need to make the game bugfree) just shows what their plans are for the game. They are not interested in experienced people who actually can test the game, but they want money, even before the game is finished.

For me the charging for beta, only proves that this wont be a Free to Play game, but just one of the many crappy already existing Pay to Play or Pay to Win games.

They do not need you or me to make the game bug free. They have people for that they pay. Do not get me wrong, these beta's do help somewhat especially when they need to test things with a lot of users. However without us they could make the game just as bug free. These pre-order are simply there because it's better to have money now instead of over a couple of month.

Galadourn

Elite Member

6/22/14 9:13:09 AM#6

I had the chance to try Landmark in the CB last week. I must tell you, the whole game concept feels entirely different, so I'm not sure Trinity will even be applicable in the case of EQN.

I was indifferent at first, since i'm not a builder type, but as I was casually  trying to use the tools i soon got excited and tried to build (and succeeded) a castle. If the feeling in EQN is anything like it, I'm sure SOE have a winner in their games arsenal.

http://kck.st/Xo38HT

xTesterx

Novice Member

6/22/14 9:56:11 AM#7
Originally posted by Coman
They do not need you or me to make the game bug free. They have people for that they pay. Do not get me wrong, these beta's do help somewhat especially when they need to test things with a lot of users. However without us they could make the game just as bug free. These pre-order are simply there because it's better to have money now instead of over a couple of month.

So if they have "paid"  testers, then why bother to do a Alfa and closed Beta at all? One important thing to keep in mind is that once you start to charge money for a game, that game has to work.

You can't charge money for a bugged game that is far from ready yet and still advertise the game as "completely free to play". And better to have money now isnt working either. Beside a couplpe of people who actually paid for their founders pack (and now seem to be the majority of the whiners on the forums about bugs and downtime) most people will just move on to another game.

After all, at this moment the game isn't much exitement. Just 90% harvesting and 10% building. No pvp, no pve, nothing else. 

And ofcourse they can ask money even in beta to play, but then the game no longer qualifies as being free to play and should'n be advertised as FTP any longer, as it's only free to play for 7 day's after which you either pay or quit playing.