Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,643 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,317,230
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Beta Testing  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Landmark Forum » General Discussion » Is there any RPG in Landmark?

14 posts found
  Knotwood

Novice Member

OP  5/02/14 9:38:28 PM#1
I'm curious as to what this game has or is going to have as far as RPG.  Will it have Quests or some level of RPG and what form does that RPG take?
  DMKano

Elite Member

5/02/14 9:42:38 PM#2

Zero RPG elements.

You can dig and build.

You can also upgrade your pickaxe.

Its a gathering/mining simulator and after digging forever you can start to build something. The game caters to professional 3D modelers and is completely overwhelming for an average Joe.

My 2c.

(Yes I know that SoE promised all kinds of stuff for Landmark - none of that has materialized yet - so no I am not going to bring anything up that is not in game yet)

kruler

Advanced Member

5/02/14 9:58:12 PM#3

still in closed Beta so still lacking a lot of stuff, flowing water, combat etc etc , as for the RPG element, its going to be be a lot harder to mine stuff once the ore etc is no longer just sitting on the suface as it is at the moment while in testing.

The length and the degree you are going to have to go through just to upgrade your pickaxe as an example makes your equipment the leveling up and giving better skills, rather than some stats purely on yourself ie levels, so you could argue that the items are the RPG element.

well kinda sorta as I said hard to tell still closed beta and early closed beta at that, they are still struggling with some elements that are holding them back a tad.

There is no God, there is no Devil, nor Angels and Demons, there is only us, surely thats bad enough, for no creature is able to commit such acts of hate and love, sometimes in the same day.

Elevenb4

Apprentice Member

5/02/14 10:07:38 PM#4
Originally posted by DMKano

(Yes I know that SoE promised all kinds of stuff for Landmark - none of that has materialized yet - so no I am not going to bring anything up that is not in game yet)

How in  the world do you figure this? They promised all kinds of stuff that and none of it has come to game? Everythign that is currently in game is stuff they promised, and yes there is a lot more coming. I don't even play it atm, I've just tried it out, but tha statement is very misleading. They are continuing to add to the game, They are adding mobs here soon to add an element of danger. 

Don't just say stuff without knowing what you are talking about. If you dont' know anything about the game, then just dont' say anything. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

gervaise1

Elite Member

5/09/14 1:42:32 PM#5
Originally posted by Elevenb4

How in  the world do you figure this? They promised all kinds of stuff that and none of it has come to game? Everythign that is currently in game is stuff they promised, and yes there is a lot more coming. I don't even play it atm, I've just tried it out, but tha statement is very misleading. They are continuing to add to the game, They are adding mobs here soon to add an element of danger. 

Don't just say stuff without knowing what you are talking about. If you dont' know anything about the game, then just dont' say anything. 

What?

How does not talking about stuff that is NOT in the game qualify as "not knowing what you are talking about". Are you suggesting that someone who asks a question should be given a whole load of promised features - that may not make it. Maybe you should read the roadmap thread paying particular attention to the part in which the devs say that even stuff scheduled for June may change.

As far as RPG goes: don't expect any. 

As detailed in SoE's FAQs (updated 7th May) Landmark's core features are building, collecting, exploring - and everyone is human. See also the devs roadmap. Everything suggests no RPG. EQNs core features include classes, gods, kings, consequences, orc camps, enemies - so PvE and presumably PvP stuff. 

Could it change - sure it could but at the moment there is nothing to suggest it will.   

Chaserz

Advanced Member

5/09/14 1:50:14 PM#6

Everquest has always had a reputation of cutting edge graphics with subsequently high system requirements that they would announce as such and as the defacto EQ franchise fanboi I was of course excited about Next.  Until I saw the Wildfire/Wow-like character models in Landmark.  Sure its beta but if that's what Next ends up with I'm going to pass for the first time in EQ history for other options like Black Desert or AA.   Yes I am a graphics ho.    

serialMMOist

Novice Member

5/09/14 1:59:55 PM#7

I absolutely love Landmark. I am not a builder. I have made some things but I want to wait for the final wipe before I begin to really focus on planting roots.

NOw for the RPG question. This is tricky when you ask it about Landmark. You see an RPG effectively can be anything. People say there is none, just have not wanted to partake in what is available. True there is not many 'Game" elements as of yet. But they are coming.

Current game elements are;

- Crafting

- Exploring

- Building

Progression elements are found in;

- Crafting

Currently you can play as a builder, explorer, crafter, gatherer. Each are different playstyles. None are very complex except building since there is now limitations except your imagination.

People host events, mazes, obstacle courses, building swap meets and other things.

Combat will be coming, Death and Danger will be coming, Hostile NPCs, PvP before the end of August as well as all the environmental changes. Don't listen to people tell you something that it isn't since its not finished yet.

Nadia

Tipster

5/09/14 1:59:58 PM#8
Originally posted by gervaise1

As far as RPG goes: don't expect any. 

As detailed in SoE's FAQs (updated 7th May) Landmark's core features are building, collecting, exploring - and everyone is human. See also the devs roadmap. Everything suggests no RPG

true but could make similar claims about A Tale in the Desert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Tale_in_the_Desert

and i think that game qualifies as an RPG

serialMMOist

Novice Member

5/09/14 2:06:41 PM#9

Zero RPG elements.

You can dig and build.

Its a gathering/mining simulator and after digging forever you can start to build something. The game caters to professional 3D modelers and is completely overwhelming for an average Joe.

My 2c.

My 2c is I couldnt disagree more with this post. You must have thought you were playing an early access finished product.

feena750

Hard Core Member

5/09/14 2:08:25 PM#10
By August they should have monsters and fighting so if you want RPG elements i would wait until then.
  Jean-Luc_Picard

Elite Member

There... are... four... lights!

5/09/14 3:10:33 PM#11

It's sad when for some people, "RPG" means "grinding Quests".

Of course, the fact that it could be you who sucks at building is ignored. It can only be the fault of the game which is too complicated for you, therefore too complicated for the "average Joe".

In the meantime, there's an amazing gallery of the stuff that "average Joe" does in Landmark on the official website...

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2

Got a refund: Archeage. First refund since I started MMOs.

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO and GW2.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.

amadeuz

Novice Member

5/19/14 4:03:43 AM#12

Zero RPG elements.

You can dig and build.

My 2c.

My 2c, all of those you stated are the purpose of EQ Landmark and it is in alpha state which means it is still in development process. People should recognize this before purchase a game for early access, or they can wait for launch day, however, it's F2P game anyway.

For the topic, I don't think you should not expect more of RPG element in landmark, ofc you can build anything concept, so you can find a rocket ship in Landmark during your exploration. But the game will has combat system and pvp, monster and the loots,  and dungeon anyway (source from SOE EQ Landmark blueprint).

Also I don't think the Landmark kind of game does not cater so narrow crowd of people, as you see how Minecraft has so tremendous success, or else, may be tons of people are professional 3D modelers.

tom_gore

Apprentice Member

5/19/14 5:59:18 AM#13

Zero RPG elements.

You can dig and build.

My 2c.

It seems to me that for you a "Role Playing Game" means getting bigger numbers on your stat sheet. In light of that, yes I would agree that there is no RPG in Landmark (yet).

However, for me "Role Playing Game" means a game where you play a role. In Landmark you can for example play the role of a spelunker, a landowner (which is btw something most MMOs today do not have) or an interior decorator, among others. At this point the more common roles of MMOs like the ubiquituos "I kill stuff with my X" role are not there, but limiting the definition of RPG to those would again be just unimaginative.

Given that the game will at some point give players access to scripting engines and private islands, I'd say Landmark has more RPG potential than all the current Themepark offerings combined. It just won't be realized in the immediate future.

The most important point about Landmark at this time would be that it's still in Closed Beta which means the claims (your spot in the world) will be wiped at least once before release, probably multiple times before that. You can save your buildings as templates, but you won't be able to save where you manage to place your claim at.

Igguns

Novice Member

5/19/14 6:05:30 AM#14
Originally posted by Elevenb4

The anger is strong in this one.

The logic... not so much.