Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Lichdom: Battlemage | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,844,922 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,221,922
Frontier Developments | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Frontier Developments
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:$26.00 | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Elite: Dangerous Forum » General Discussion » Splitting up the universe

4 posts found
  Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

OP  3/04/14 8:43:26 AM#1

Some interesting information on how players will be segregated into different groups can be found in the official design discussion archive.

Players can dynamically remove themselves from the "reality" of other players through the use of groups. While this does have some benefits for the players, who can still access the same "background sim" universe, it does detract somewhat from that shared universe experience, if you ask me.

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6300

What do you think? Personally I'd rather everyone was in the same "version" of the game within the max instance constraints, except perhaps the single players.

Currently playing: Divinity: Original Sin, FTL, Hearthstone and Skyrim.
Eagerly anticipating: Camelot Unchained, Elite: Dangerous, Legend of Grimrock 2 and Star Citizen.

Anthur

Hard Core Member

3/04/14 9:09:06 AM#2

I really don't know what kind of game Elite: Dangerous wants to be.

It looks like they want to please everybody. So it can be a single player game, a group/multiplayer game or close to an MMO. Whatever you prefer.

I can't say I am really a fan of this "please everybody". Especially as all those play styles result in different requirements for a game. Personally I would prefer it the developers would focus on one play style. Even more for a small company like them with limited resources.

SotA sounds similiar in that regard.

PumaClipper

Novice Member

3/04/14 11:23:34 AM#3

You can't just filter out every player, there are Excepeptions

• If a person earns a bounty their ignore list and friend preferences won’t affect matchmaking, and bounty hunters will still be able to encounter the player, even if the bounty hunter is on the player’s ignore list
  • If a player is in a session with another player on their ignore list they will still receive messages relating to that players in game actions and pre-canned dialogue, such as declarations of piracy
  • If a player follows another player’s hyperspace trail, the ignore rules cannot be applied to them. The players will join their next session as a group

Also you will have to be at least in the All-Group if you want to get all the perks and get mentioned in the news when you do something significant.

Mors.Magne

Apprentice Member

3/07/14 8:01:30 AM#4
Originally posted by Anthur

I really don't know what kind of game Elite: Dangerous wants to be.

It looks like they want to please everybody. So it can be a single player game, a group/multiplayer game or close to an MMO. Whatever you prefer.

I can't say I am really a fan of this "please everybody". Especially as all those play styles result in different requirements for a game. Personally I would prefer it the developers would focus on one play style. Even more for a small company like them with limited resources.

SotA sounds similiar in that regard.

I think Elite: Dangerous should work.

Most people who play MMORPGs happen to play solo - if you want to play solo, you can.

If you want to gank (PvP) other players, you can - you get a price put on your head - but that's ok - the person wants to PvP anyway, so the bounty will attract PvPers to them.

If people want to group up, they can.

So what's the problem?