Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,639 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,317,218
Sandbox Interactive | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel Q4 2014)  | Pub:Sandbox Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC Mac Mobile Devices iOS Android | Out of date info? Let us know!

Albion Online Forum » General Discussion » Albion Online, more info on spells and crafted items

6 posts found
  wsmar

Novice Member

OP  10/01/13 3:21:40 PM#1

I found this on massively the other day, and thought you guys might want to check it out! It is pretty cool! One of the devs answered questions and concerns in the comments of the post. 

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/30/massively-exclusive-albion-online-dev-blog-explains-diversity/

DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

10/01/13 3:43:22 PM#2

I just read some of the dev's responses to comments and it sounds like they know what they're doing.

How come the only devs that seem to know how to make an MMO are the indy ones?

"

What you are describing and what you are looking for already exists in many other MMOs out there, you do not need us for this kind of game. Our goal was to create a refreshing NEW sandbox experience and so far I would say we are on the right track, although there is still a lot to do.

Kind regards,

Stefan

PS.: There are lots of Safe Zones in Albion Online as well, so it is not PvP everywhere!"

and

"We are aware that this makes our game a niche product but we highly believe in the concept. It also seems as if most of today’s games want to avoid any form of negative emotion or real setback for the player.

But without negative emotions, how can positive emotions have a meaning? And without true setbacks, how can a success feel truly rewarding?"
  TiamatRoar

Elite Member

10/01/13 3:53:17 PM#3
Originally posted by DavisFlight

I just read some of the dev's responses to comments and it sounds like they know what they're doing.

"

What you are describing and what you are looking for already exists in many other MMOs out there, you do not need us for this kind of game. Our goal was to create a refreshing NEW sandbox experience and so far I would say we are on the right track, although there is still a lot to do.

Kind regards,

Stefan

PS.: There are lots of Safe Zones in Albion Online as well, so it is not PvP everywhere!"

and

"We are aware that this makes our game a niche product but we highly believe in the concept. It also seems as if most of today’s games want to avoid any form of negative emotion or real setback for the player.

But without negative emotions, how can positive emotions have a meaning? And without true setbacks, how can a success feel truly rewarding?"

The quotes in your post answer your question.  "We are aware that this makes our game a niche product."

These indy guys "know what they're doing" because they're making a niche product.  Niche products are usually easier to manage and more focused than the mainstream. However, most big companies won't be satisfied with niche products because the returns are... well, puny. Thus their devs need to work on things that will draw in a crowd.

Whether those big company devs succeed or not is another matter, but it's something that indy developers won't try to (nor have the funds to try to) do in the first place.

DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

10/01/13 4:19:15 PM#4
Originally posted by TiamatRoar

"

Kind regards,

Stefan

and

The quotes in your post answer your question.  "We are aware that this makes our game a niche product."

These indy guys "know what they're doing" because they're making a niche product.  Niche products are usually easier to manage and more focused than the mainstream. However, most big companies won't be satisfied with niche products because the returns are... well, puny. Thus their devs need to work on things that will draw in a crowd.

Whether those big company devs succeed or not is another matter, but it's something that indy developers won't try to (nor have the funds to try to) do in the first place.

That isn't exactly true. There are quite a few indy MMOs that try to rip off AAA WoW clones, just like the big boys. Allods?

Indie devs go for niche products because they're usually teams of passionate people making the kind of games that they'd want to play themselves. That's how all MMOs used to be made, and so far, it seems those are how the most successful ones are made. Catering to a niche is what AC, DAoC, and SWG did. They don't have publishers looming over them, demanding they go down the path of failure that virtually every AAA MMO has wandered down for the last 8 years.

I just wish there was a publisher out there with a clue. They could release a lower budget niche MMO and grow for years and years. They could release multiple MMOs, all serving different niches, and have steady increasing cash flows. The returns might be smaller, but they're way for stable than the "try to please everyone and then go bankrupt as we please no one" models of SWTOR, Rift, AoC, and the other WoW clones.

wsmar

Novice Member

OP  10/01/13 4:55:10 PM#5
Originally posted by TiamatRoar

"

Kind regards,

Stefan

and

That isn't exactly true. There are quite a few indy MMOs that try to rip off AAA WoW clones, just like the big boys. Allods?

Indie devs go for niche products because they're usually teams of passionate people making the kind of games that they'd want to play themselves. That's how all MMOs used to be made, and so far, it seems those are how the most successful ones are made. Catering to a niche is what AC, DAoC, and SWG did. They don't have publishers looming over them, demanding they go down the path of failure that virtually every AAA MMO has wandered down for the last 8 years.

I just wish there was a publisher out there with a clue. They could release a lower budget niche MMO and grow for years and years. They could release multiple MMOs, all serving different niches, and have steady increasing cash flows. The returns might be smaller, but they're way for stable than the "try to please everyone and then go bankrupt as we please no one" models of SWTOR, Rift, AoC, and the other WoW clones.

I agree with this more than anything, however, I don't see big publisher's going down this road because until proven otherwise, the money isn't there. Maybe Albion or another Indie dev group will be able to, that would be great. 

Besides that though, it is more than clear that the Devs are making a game they want to play, and is a type of game that isn't available on the market in the current time. Money doesn't seem to be a driving force, which hopefully means that they are more focused on the fun factor than anything else.

I have very high hopes for this game, and it has yet to disappoint as far as the news, and alpha players opinion's. 

time007

Apprentice Member

"Get your FPS out of my MMORPG" - Timetrapper (me)

10/02/13 5:32:28 PM#6

To Tiamat Roar saying: "Thus their devs need to work on things that will draw in a crowd."  Oh yes please sell out your game so we can draw in some WoW kids.  That's brilliant.  I'll never understand how people can get so negative when a indie/niche game comes out.  They start posting about how the game is going to fail unless they cater to XYZ crowd and start doing ABC steps to make a safe cookie cutter game.

Nah pass.  I'd rather them make their niche game.  There is no rule that "niche games fail".  I don't know where people get this nonsense from.  Let them make their game without watering it down.  And don't act like your trying to give them advice by saying "oh this won't draw people in" or "you can't have a success unless you do XYZ mainstream blah blah"

I'll never get why ppl post about trying to move the game toward the WoW end of the spectrum.  they can just play those games and post in those forums if they like that style so much.  They can take their awesome mmo insights with them.