Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Guild Wars 2 | Blade & Soul | Black Desert

Facebook Twitter YouTube Twitch.tv
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,987,206 Users Online:0
Games:829  Posts:6,438,870
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Setting:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

EverQuest Next Forum » General Discussion » Release date incoming????

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 Search
115 posts found
  Gallus85

Advanced Member

8/04/14 11:18:29 AM#101
Originally posted by Brabbit1987

This thread seriously made me feel like my IQ was stabbed several times  -.-

People need to learn to use Google and look up definitions.

First of all, Emergence AI has little to do with combat. Let's break this down and define the word emergence. The act of becoming known or coming into view : the act of emerging. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/emergence <--- Seriously .. use this more often please. Dictionaries exist for a reason.

In scientific use the word emergence tends to be talking about behaviors how a larger entity would react toward a smaller entity. It's all a bit more complicated but it essentially means how these entities would interact through the world and how other entities would change their behaviors.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence

With that said, Emergence AI isn't the same as Combat AI. Emergence AI has to do with NPC Spawning, World pathfinding, and general npc behaviors through interactions in the environment and other players. However, Combat AI may interact with the Emergence AI. All AI systems can be broken down into groups to describe a particular part of the AI. 

I hope this settles that little dispute.

As for AI being "smarter?" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence_(video_games)

I suggest you give that a read over. Game AI is not even really AI to begin with. Meaning no matter how many variety of tasks they give to the NPCs, it doesn't actually make them smarter. Once you learn what they are capable of, you will find a work around and they will be just as easy as any other AI. You just have to learn their habits. This kind of AI is nothing new and has been used since the 1970s. The only thing really new in more recent AI is the processing power, which allows us to increase the amount of variety in the AI. More choices based on certain triggers.

If you where to add an actual smart AI into the game, it would be too hard for most people. The only reason we can take down 10 npcs with 1 character is because these npcs are not smart and we can figure out their patterns. Taking on 10 who are much smarter will make the game very difficult. This is assuming you are of equal level. It may even make the game next to impossible. That is like taking on 10 people in real life. 1 person against 10, even if you are a good fighter is extremely hard to do. Even against 5 is a challenge.

Playing in a mutliplayer game is a great example. Taking on 5 other opponents isn't always easy. Most people die more often that they get kills. Keeping in mind, playing against a player doesn't mean it's harder. Not all players are all that smart. Imagine playing against 5 players but they all have knowledge on tactical warfare. Against 1 person, they would probably win every time. Now picture that in a PVE situation.

This would mean if you wanted true AI, smarter NPCs, you would have to dumb down the quantity of encounters. In the end, it just would not be all that fun for most people.

TL;DR: Some of you are expecting way to much from the AI combat. You are setting yourself up for disappointment. No matter how much variety they add, all it changes is the amount of time it takes to learn the patterns. Some of you have unrealistic expectations of what this AI will do.

Thanks for reiterating everything I already said.  It's nice to know there's someone else on here that understands what's going on.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

OP  8/06/14 7:26:29 AM#102
Originally posted by Gallus85

First of all, Emergence AI has little to do with combat. Let's break this down and define the word emergence. The act of becoming known or coming into view : the act of emerging. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/emergence <--- Seriously .. use this more often please. Dictionaries exist for a reason.

In scientific use the word emergence tends to be talking about behaviors how a larger entity would react toward a smaller entity. It's all a bit more complicated but it essentially means how these entities would interact through the world and how other entities would change their behaviors.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence

With that said, Emergence AI isn't the same as Combat AI. Emergence AI has to do with NPC Spawning, World pathfinding, and general npc behaviors through interactions in the environment and other players. However, Combat AI may interact with the Emergence AI. All AI systems can be broken down into groups to describe a particular part of the AI. 

As for AI being "smarter?" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence_(video_games)

I suggest you give that a read over. Game AI is not even really AI to begin with. Meaning no matter how many variety of tasks they give to the NPCs, it doesn't actually make them smarter. Once you learn what they are capable of, you will find a work around and they will be just as easy as any other AI. You just have to learn their habits. This kind of AI is nothing new and has been used since the 1970s. The only thing really new in more recent AI is the processing power, which allows us to increase the amount of variety in the AI. More choices based on certain triggers.

If you where to add an actual smart AI into the game, it would be too hard for most people. The only reason we can take down 10 npcs with 1 character is because these npcs are not smart and we can figure out their patterns. Taking on 10 who are much smarter will make the game very difficult. This is assuming you are of equal level. It may even make the game next to impossible. That is like taking on 10 people in real life. 1 person against 10, even if you are a good fighter is extremely hard to do. Even against 5 is a challenge.

Playing in a mutliplayer game is a great example. Taking on 5 other opponents isn't always easy. Most people die more often that they get kills. Keeping in mind, playing against a player doesn't mean it's harder. Not all players are all that smart. Imagine playing against 5 players but they all have knowledge on tactical warfare. Against 1 person, they would probably win every time. Now picture that in a PVE situation.

This would mean if you wanted true AI, smarter NPCs, you would have to dumb down the quantity of encounters. In the end, it just would not be all that fun for most people.

TL;DR: Some of you are expecting way to much from the AI combat. You are setting yourself up for disappointment. No matter how much variety they add, all it changes is the amount of time it takes to learn the patterns. Some of you have unrealistic expectations of what this AI will do.

Thanks for reiterating everything I already said.  It's nice to know there's someone else on here that understands what's going on.

I suggest you both take time to read this link below in full as you both are only partly right and allot wrong. Storybricks AI has so many applications to how a NPC would respond in combat, from class, race and class its epic. Why make a AI system and leave out one of the major parts of the game, combat? Have you even read the link below? 

http://www.junkiesnation.com/2013/09/10/storybricks-and-soe-answer-some-questions/

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called the bad thing and pessimism is the good thing =-D

Brabbit1987

Novice Member

8/06/14 1:46:08 PM#103
Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I suggest you both take time to read this link below in full as you both are only partly right and allot wrong. Storybricks AI has so many applications to how a NPC would respond in combat, from class, race and class its epic. Why make a AI system and leave out one of the major parts of the game, combat? Have you even read the link below? 

http://www.junkiesnation.com/2013/09/10/storybricks-and-soe-answer-some-questions/

The difference here is I am not talking about the story bricks AI. I am talking about specifically emergence AI and it's definition. So you are the one who seems to be misunderstanding here.

Storybricks is pretty much a full AI engine that consists of many parts which includes an emergence AI, and combat AI.

I don't think anyone here is denying that. So please try and read my post again, and stop misunderstanding.

For some reason you keep linking the 2 things together as if they are the same thing. Emergence AI doesn't equal Storybricks. Story bricks just has emergence AI. It's not the first time it's been done, the word has been around for a while. Maybe if you actually read the links I posted you would know this and wouldn't misunderstand.

As for the rest of my post beyond that point, I posted info about how video game AI is actually not really AI by it's definition. I also posted how making an AI too intelligent would make a game too hard and unfun to play.

As far as I am aware, I am not wrong about anything I pointed on in that area.

Oh and btw .. I read the link you posted, and it doesn't say I am wrong about anything as far as i am aware.

Gallus85

Advanced Member

8/07/14 12:40:14 AM#104

The difference here is I am not talking about the story bricks AI. I am talking about specifically emergence AI and it's definition. So you are the one who seems to be misunderstanding here.

Storybricks is pretty much a full AI engine that consists of many parts which includes an emergence AI, and combat AI.

I don't think anyone here is denying that. So please try and read my post again, and stop misunderstanding.

For some reason you keep linking the 2 things together as if they are the same thing. Emergence AI doesn't equal Storybricks. Story bricks just has emergence AI. It's not the first time it's been done, the word has been around for a while. Maybe if you actually read the links I posted you would know this and wouldn't misunderstand.

As for the rest of my post beyond that point, I posted info about how video game AI is actually not really AI by it's definition. I also posted how making an AI too intelligent would make a game too hard and unfun to play.

As far as I am aware, I am not wrong about anything I pointed on in that area.

Oh and btw .. I read the link you posted, and it doesn't say I am wrong about anything as far as i am aware.

Exactly.  This nanfoodle guy and a few others on here don't seem to understand that Emergent AI is a part of the Storybricks system.  I think some people on these forums are so invested in trying to prove other people wrong they don't even comprehend the subject at hand or take the time to understand the vocabulary of the subject matter.

Emergent AI is a part* of Storybricks.  It's not the generic name of the entire system and the Emergent AI objects, methods, data members and algorithms are separate from the combat AI, which is another, and different, part of the Storybricks system.  Objects between 2 subsystems can interact through methods and take each other's data members into consideration for their own algorithms, subroutines and methods.  But they are 2 different parts of the Storybricks system and not to be confused with each other.

People on here seem to think Storybricks is a synonym for Emergent AI for some reason.  This is factually incorrect.

This may seem like semantics to a laymen, but to programmers it's a very important distinction.  Encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism, core components of OOP, are very important aspects of game programming.  You don't just create one giant monster function that does everything lol.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Brabbit1987

Novice Member

8/07/14 6:34:28 PM#105

Exactly.  This nanfoodle guy and a few others on here don't seem to understand that Emergent AI is a part of the Storybricks system.  I think some people on these forums are so invested in trying to prove other people wrong they don't even comprehend the subject at hand or take the time to understand the vocabulary of the subject matter.

Emergent AI is a part* of Storybricks.  It's not the generic name of the entire system and the Emergent AI objects, methods, data members and algorithms are separate from the combat AI, which is another, and different, part of the Storybricks system.  Objects between 2 subsystems can interact through methods and take each other's data members into consideration for their own algorithms, subroutines and methods.  But they are 2 different parts of the Storybricks system and not to be confused with each other.

People on here seem to think Storybricks is a synonym for Emergent AI for some reason.  This is factually incorrect.

This may seem like semantics to a laymen, but to programmers it's a very important distinction.  Encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism, core components of OOP, are very important aspects of game programming.  You don't just create one giant monster function that does everything lol.

Well, I personally am not a programmer, but I am in game design. However, even if you where not in either, I don't think it's really all that hard to understand. I think, just as you said, these people just do not want to be wrong ... even though they clearly are.

Also, this is the first game to take Emergence AI as far as this. So I am pretty intrigued by how it all will work out and look in a finished product. It could essentially become a new standard for AI if it works as well as it sounds on paper.

azarhal

Elite Member

8/08/14 7:11:40 AM#106

Also, this is the first game to take Emergence AI as far as this. So I am pretty intrigued by how it all will work out and look in a finished product. It could essentially become a new standard for AI if it works as well as it sounds on paper.

I disagree with this. Black&White did it years ago. The creature AI was designed using the same principles that you find in Storybricks (BDI, decisions trees. It even had a neural network). The player was raising his creature while playing (it is a child at first). You have to teach it what to eat (plants, wildlife...people), play with it (destroying everything is optional), punish it if it did something bad/good, etc. 

The difference with Storybricks is that Black&White had a single creature with the AI and it started has a kid with no past.

Nadia

Tipster

8/08/14 7:26:46 AM#107
  Muke

Elite Member

8/08/14 7:36:48 AM#108
Originally posted by DMKano

What does it mean? What does it mean? Double Rainbow all the way!!!! Could David be hinting at a release date being anounced at SoE live????

Click HERE

What company announces a  release date for a MMORPG before a single alpha for said game?

We're talking about SOE here....history should say enough.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Brabbit1987

Novice Member

8/08/14 12:51:34 PM#109
Originally posted by azarhal

I disagree with this. Black&White did it years ago. The creature AI was designed using the same principles that you find in Storybricks (BDI, decisions trees. It even had a neural network). The player was raising his creature while playing (it is a child at first). You have to teach it what to eat (plants, wildlife...people), play with it (destroying everything is optional), punish it if it did something bad/good, etc. 

The difference with Storybricks is that Black&White had a single creature with the AI and it started has a kid with no past.

While I understand where you are coming from, I have to point out I did say specifically "as far as this".

Yes Black and White does use an emergence AI on it's creature but it's no where near as in depth and world changing as the emergence AI in Storybricks. The emergence AI in black and white was designed around 1 creature. Storybricks is designed for entire games. Meaning it doesn't just effect npcs. It effects the whole in game world.

This is assuming it ends up working out that way.

Markn

Hard Core Member

8/08/14 12:54:14 PM#110
Originally posted by BillMurphy
Originally posted by Tyggs
We don't even have a solid release date for Landmark yet.

David said. We have some good suprizes... you will not be saying "When will you be building EQN" after SoE live. Sounds like we getting a release date for EQN, and who knows maybe Landmark.

I don't know, sounds more like "We'll be showing you all the work we've done on EQN since last year" more than anything else.

It will be a beta date :)

azarhal

Elite Member

8/08/14 3:52:32 PM#111

While I understand where you are coming from, I have to point out I did say specifically "as far as this".

Yes Black and White does use an emergence AI on it's creature but it's no where near as in depth and world changing as the emergence AI in Storybricks. The emergence AI in black and white was designed around 1 creature. Storybricks is designed for entire games. Meaning it doesn't just effect npcs. It effects the whole in game world.

I just see Storybricks has taking the Black&White AI and putting it into all the creatures in the world.

Gallus85

Advanced Member

8/08/14 3:58:35 PM#112

I just see Storybricks has taking the Black&White AI and putting it into all the creatures in the world.

Black&White while having something slightly similar in some aspects, did not have the same thing.  Nor was it as feature-rich as what we're seeing from Storybrick's Emergent AI, and the integration of their features are far more wide-reaching and game changing than what BnW did.

Pepeq

Advanced Member

8/08/14 4:03:50 PM#113

As pointed out in another thread, SOE will not be announcing any dates for EQNext or Landmark at SoE Live.

Post that informs you of this is located here:

Twitter / DaveGeorgeson: Seen lots of speculation about ...

azarhal

Elite Member

8/08/14 5:19:48 PM#114

Black&White while having something slightly similar in some aspects, did not have the same thing.  Nor was it as feature-rich as what we're seeing from Storybrick's Emergent AI, and the integration of their features are far more wide-reaching and game changing than what BnW did.

I don't think we are comparing it at the same level. I'm looking at it that the AI component level. Storybricks talks a lot about their BDI list system with decision trees making. That's basic AI. We don't know if they use neural networks and/or evolutionary algorithms. The Creature in Black&White use neural networks which is a lot more advanced than BDI and decision trees.

Gallus85

Advanced Member

8/09/14 12:23:57 PM#115
Originally posted by Pepeq

As pointed out in another thread, SOE will not be announcing any dates for EQNext or Landmark at SoE Live.

Post that informs you of this is located here:

Twitter / DaveGeorgeson: Seen lots of speculation about ...

They may not give any specific date, but they may give year/quarter estimates and the fact that they aren't giving any specific date does not mean that the game is years away from completion, as many who bring up dates are afraid of.  All it is, simply, is another, more polite way of saying "You'll get it when it's done".

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 Search