Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes | Star Wars: The Old Republic | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,921,899 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,314,714
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

EverQuest Next Forum » General Discussion » EQ Character Stances Issues

13 posts found
  ReallyNow10

Advanced Member

Don't give us stories. Give us worlds and we will make our own stories.

OP  7/02/14 2:31:15 AM#1

Had to retitle this thread from "My one requested change" to focus specifically on character model stances.  Some folks were taking the thread as "tell us what you want changed" and all the responses were unrelated.  My bad.  Hopefully, the title change will restart and refocus the discussion.  Thanks.

This involves something they have been doing since EQ2 and I fear are porting over:  character models facing sideways.  Drive me nuts. 

I do NOT want my character's body to be facing at a 45 degree angle, with his head moving back and forth from 12 O'clock to 3 O'clock.  This may be minor to some of you, but drives me up the wall.  Hard to really tell what is facing forward.

Nanfoodle

Elite Member

7/02/14 9:36:40 AM#2
Mine is that EQN will be to twitch heavy. Action combat is flooding the MMO space. Adding dodge is fine but the twitch side of things can get so bad it feels more like playing a FPS over a MMO. 
  evilized

Apprentice Member

7/02/14 9:46:20 AM#3
Originally posted by Nanfoodle
Mine is that EQN will be to twitch heavy. Action combat is flooding the MMO space. Adding dodge is fine but the twitch side of things can get so bad it feels more like playing a FPS over a MMO. 

I'm hoping it plays like TERA, probably the most engaging MMO combat I have encountered. GW2 and Wildstar have a similar system but they feel kind of clunky. 

@ OP

That's the "heroic" look, you will probably see more of it, sadly. Looks silly to me but that's life I suppose. The updated EQ1 models are the worst, all of the characters stand like they have a giant stick up their ass. I never made the switch over to the new models after the Luclin expansion, made my troll look idiotic. 

Elmberry

Advanced Member

7/02/14 2:35:58 PM#4

Other things I hope they don't include:

1. I don't want to have to many short quests as in newer MMO like TESO. I rather have "few" ones with good rewards which take some time to complete. All I did in TESO was to run, run and even more run between different quests which took 3-10 minutes todo. It felt like the only thing I did in that game was running.

2. I don't want to have walking fishes as in EQ2

3. I don't want bells which you teleport with as EQ2 had

nerovipus32

Apprentice Member

7/02/14 2:40:02 PM#5
Don't make it story driven, it will be a skip for me if that's the case. If i want story i'll play an rpg.
  OminousDawn

Apprentice Member

7/02/14 3:15:00 PM#6
Originally posted by nerovipus32
Don't make it story driven, it will be a skip for me if that's the case. If i want story i'll play an rpg.

Everquest Next is an RPG, an MMO-RPG.

What do you presume is the alternative?

The game you are looking for requiring no PvE completion and where you can just jump in and start mindlessly shooting at people is that way - >>>>

... it's called an FPS.

Quit ruining the MMORPG genre with your constant "PvE grind" whines.

azzamasin

Hard Core Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

7/02/14 3:21:27 PM#7

It's already going to be exactly what you don't want.  Was said that at last year's SOE Live that the combat was going to be fast paced, action orientated.

With that said, I think it's a perfect move and I believe all MMO's should go this route.  If I want to play a stand still and trade blows, RNG roll for to-hit and to-miss, I'd play a freaking RTS.  I think an RPG should be more about action then your typical Real Time Strategy game.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Telondariel

Advanced Member

7/02/14 7:20:02 PM#8
Originally posted by Elmberry

Other things I hope they don't include:

1. I don't want to have to many short quests as in newer MMO like TESO. I rather have "few" ones with good rewards which take some time to complete. All I did in TESO was to run, run and even more run between different quests which took 3-10 minutes todo. It felt like the only thing I did in that game was running.

2. I don't want to have walking fishes as in EQ2

3. I don't want bells which you teleport with as EQ2 had

1.  I'm sure you will see a mix of short and long quests, just like EQ2.  Some people like to take hours or days for long quest chains (think Epic quests or Heritage quests from EQ2).  Other people simply don't have the time to invest in that on a regular basis and want to see character/quest advancement in the 1-3 hours that they have online.  Dave has gently stressed that EQN will be accessible for many playstyles, so expect to see a mix.

2.  Are you talking about a graphics glitch where you could see fish swimming above the water?

3.  Fast travel is definitely going to be in.  This was a question that was brought up and Dave gave a strong nod to allowing people to get around the world quickly.  Again, for accessibility and convenience. 

I get the feeling you want a more original EQ feel.  That just isn't the case for EQN, or for the EQ franchise anymore.  Dave and Smed are all about catering to their largest population, and those who have the largest wallets for Station Cash sales. 

Allein

Elite Member

7/02/14 7:42:51 PM#9

What do you mean by "twitch"? If you mean having to aim at your target and move around, I'm all for it. If you mean having to mash buttons, not a fan.

ReallyNow10

Advanced Member

Don't give us stories. Give us worlds and we will make our own stories.

OP  7/02/14 9:40:49 PM#10
Originally posted by OminousDawn

I'm guessing he meant he doesn't want personal instanced storylines, as those are silly, feel canned, and take you out of the game world shared by others.  But some meta-story, like a war is brewing between a couple of kingdoms or the Dark Elves are planning an invasion to retake ground or something will surely be in the game.

Ramanadjinn

Novice Member

7/02/14 10:32:51 PM#11

Honestly though this can go either way.  I get that his language was a little off but the spirit of his statement makes sense.

Linear story driven games are everywhere in the MMORPG market.  But MMORPGs have a long history of also having player driven content.  I'm pretty sure thats what he's talking about when he says rpg.  The sort of linear single player rpg rather than the player content sort of thing.

I'm not a fan of those linear story driven games either.   

And you're right that it is an RPG.  But sometimes you gotta not take people so literally.

Apraxis

Novice Member

7/03/14 12:40:54 PM#12

Yeah.. he should have worded it better.. if i want a story i will read a book. (and for the RPG.. you should be able to read a book there, too)

And.. he said story driven. With other words like hand hold from one cut scene to the next, where you get fed with a totally bad and boring story wheras you have to do some more boring and generic quests, like basicly all themparks from the last 10 years..

The world should be full of lore, story you CAN explore, but you don't have to. Like some RPGs, especially older ones, where you could look for story find some interesting or funny tidbits and carve for more.. but they were not story driven.

But as much as we know now.. it is more likely that it will actually not be story driven.

Elmberry

Advanced Member

7/03/14 2:24:53 PM#13
Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Honestly though this can go either way.  I get that his language was a little off but the spirit of his statement makes sense.

Linear story driven games are everywhere in the MMORPG market.  But MMORPGs have a long history of also having player driven content.  I'm pretty sure thats what he's talking about when he says rpg.  The sort of linear single player rpg rather than the player content sort of thing.

I'm not a fan of those linear story driven games either.   

And you're right that it is an RPG.  But sometimes you gotta not take people so literally.

I agree. I really hope it's not like in SWOTOR. Story driven content in that game was enjoyable the first levels but after that it felt frustrating to deal with.