Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Lichdom: Battlemage | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,845,229 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,222,019
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

EverQuest Next Forum » General Discussion » ~If They Sell Founder's Packs Alpha/Beta For EQ-Next, Will You Buy It?~

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
75 posts found
  Sephros

Apprentice Member

2/05/14 6:41:42 PM#41
Nope.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
Press F1 to continue......

Belgar

Advanced Member

2/06/14 4:41:09 AM#42
Yes to Alpha.  EQ apart from UO was the first MMO that really open peoples imagination and spent many a years enjoying playing my Magician from 1999.  Everquest Next will feel like coming home for some silly reason.  Looking forward to it immensely.
  Kaneth

Elite Member

2/06/14 2:47:33 PM#43
Originally posted by skyline385
Originally posted by Kaneth
Originally posted by Rusque
Originally posted by Ice-Queen

May go ahead and get the alpha today. I was impressed with their NDA lifting so soon, and that shows confidence in their product. That goes a long way to change my mind to buy it, when at first I wasn't interested because F2P.

Don't think I've seen a more bizarre reason to purchase something. Maybe you meant to say, "The game looked like fun, so I might be buying into Alpha even though it's F2P."

But being impressed with their NDA status as the reason to buy something . . . kinda weird no?

I don't think that's weird. Look at ESO, it's coming into another beta weekend event, nearing the launch date and the NDA is still in full effect. That tells me that ZO is trying to hide whatever bad publicity they know their game is going to receive. The fact that SOE has lifted the NDA in an Alpha version of their game shows how committed they are to being as transparent as they can be during their development process. It also shows that they have full confidence in their own product, and are willing to take both positive and negative comments.

Partial NDA is being lifted this weekend and it's been announced that there will be no Marks on your screen this weekend meaning that even if you leak it, you aren't getting caught no matter how much the NDA is lifted. You will be seeing lots of ESO videos after this weekend test.

And SOE lifted the NDA because they are selling the Alphas and Betas. Most of the games (DayZ, Rust, Assetto Corsa, Entropy, Starpoint Gemini and the list goes on and on) which sell early access lift the NDAs. SOE isn't doing anything special in that. ESO isn't selling you Alphas/Betas.

Pre-orders are different as you can cancel them anytime, even after the NDA gets lifted. ESO might have some faults but not lifting the NDA isn't one of them. Even FFXIV last year started pre-orders without lifting the NDA until 20 days later.

Gotta love them paranoid armchair detectives on the forums....

Instead of being a "paranoid armchair detective", perhaps I am a cautious purchaser considering the vast amount of crap that we have gone through as gamers.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you'd see how that NOT lifting a NDA so close to a potential launch has proven to be a good indicator that the game isn't up to snuff.

No, ESO isn't selling beta or alpha access. They are selling the ability to play any race on any faction. They are selling an entire race, Imperials, which are only available after an additional $20 purchase on top of the $60 price tag. That's also on top of a subscription fee. Smells of a massive cash grab by a company who knows their game is crap and is going to get decimated by the general fan base.

AmbrosiaAmor

Elite Member

2/08/14 12:20:31 AM#44
I'm pretty sure SOE will do something similar like they did with Landmark and have 3 different packs. I wouldn't mind a boxed collector's edition, but who knows at this point. I would probably buy it.

Colt47

Advanced Member

2/17/14 7:43:59 AM#45

Sony Online Entertainment isn't giving enough indication as far as what feedback they are taking into consideration and what feedback they are ignoring.  They have good enough communication through their updates forum page, but compared to other projects out there like Star Citizen and Shroud of the Avatar, it feels like they are ignoring founders 90% of the time and only addressing things inconsequential to their original design goals.

So yeah, we are helping shape the game alright.  We're all doing bug testing for them that we paid either $60 usd or $100 usd for the privilege.  At least in the kick starters they are acknowledging feedback from the damn backers.

Nadia

Elite Member

2/17/14 8:00:40 AM#46

despite the Smed warts, I'm a SOE fan  so i voted yes

but I hope SOE offers the same money back guarantee that Landmark alpha has

not satisfied with alpha?  SOE refunds your money for Landmark alpha

how many mmos do that?

Colt47

Advanced Member

2/17/14 8:25:29 AM#47
Originally posted by Nadia

despite the Smed warts, I'm a SOE fan  so i voted yes

but I hope SOE offers the same money back guarantee that Landmark alpha has

not satisfied with alpha?  SOE refunds your money for Landmark alpha

how many mmos do that?

Refunding is not a solution to a lack of communication.  It's throwing in the towel because they are admitting they lacked the infrastructure to handle the kind of task they were setting out to do.  It's like the stop light camera that snaps a photo of someone doing a right turn on red and mails them a ticket, which they have to go and fight because otherwise they are getting fined for doing something perfectly legal.  

It's the responsibility of the company to work out issues, not the guy buying into the game.  Remember, they promised that the alpha early access provides the ability to influence the direction of the finished product, which entails going through feedback, communicating to the community at large, and explaining in detail why they are doing what they are doing.  So far they seem to be inclined to be the CEO that takes a list of research questions and crosses out all the questions most pertinent to the decisions involved in the game and says "if your research doesn't agree with my direction, to hell with it."

If that is the case, why are we even here playing an unfinished game?

Allein

Elite Member

2/17/14 7:17:23 PM#48
Originally posted by Colt47

Refunding is not a solution to a lack of communication.  It's throwing in the towel because they are admitting they lacked the infrastructure to handle the kind of task they were setting out to do.  It's like the stop light camera that snaps a photo of someone doing a right turn on red and mails them a ticket, which they have to go and fight because otherwise they are getting fined for doing something perfectly legal.  

It's the responsibility of the company to work out issues, not the guy buying into the game.  Remember, they promised that the alpha early access provides the ability to influence the direction of the finished product, which entails going through feedback, communicating to the community at large, and explaining in detail why they are doing what they are doing.  So far they seem to be inclined to be the CEO that takes a list of research questions and crosses out all the questions most pertinent to the decisions involved in the game and says "if your research doesn't agree with my direction, to hell with it."

If that is the case, why are we even here playing an unfinished game?

Refunds are not a solution to larger issues, but it is nice to see a company giving early adopters an out if they aren't happy for any reason.

Not sure what you would like to see, but I doubt they are going to go "Gamer 142 said he wanted X so we put it in." That isn't how it works. Players complained about wood and they are addressing it. Players complained about claims, they are working on it. They are improving the tools and resource/gathering. 

The patches/updates seem to be direct results of what players have talked about (positive or negative). For the most part, the overall wishes of the players seemed to be impacting development. Maybe not exactly what every single player wants, but that isn't how it works.

They have to look at the overall game and experience for everyone. Hopefully as more systems are introduced and ironed out (combat, AI, death, Player Studio, etc) things will grow further and players will continue to influence the games future. There is a long ways to go, but I think those of us that have bought in are having some impact. Do I feel like a dev as they go on about, no, but I also don't feel like players as a whole are being ignored.

They are still working on transparency as well. They've at least given a road map of where development is going, hopefully they break it down a bit and actually say what players have contributed to.

drtack1

Advanced Member

2/17/14 7:25:27 PM#49

I bought into the EQNL alpha and I have to say it is super fun! Best pre order I have done in over a year and its alpha lol.

I am excited to see more in regards to EQN!

Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

2/17/14 7:28:47 PM#50

Just curious.

That's why i didn't buy landmark, EQN is going have more value.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

apocoluster

Apprentice Member

\m/,

2/17/14 8:28:42 PM#51
Just curious.

Your GD right I will..the biggest most expensive one available

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Tokken

Hard Core Member

"I'm your Huckleberry!"

2/17/14 8:45:11 PM#52

YES, I would buy beta

UO, EQ, DAoC, SWG, WOW, EQ2, CoH, CoX, VG, Aion, STO, CO, DCUO, LOTRO, Tera, SWTOR, GW2, DP, NW, TSW, MH, DDO, Rift, WS, ESO, Trove, LM

Allein

Elite Member

2/18/14 12:37:31 AM#53
Originally posted by Scambug
Depends how much of a sandbox it is. If it's just going to be another quest grinder with instanced dungeons and the usual no-risk gameplay philosophy, I'll pass.

I see "risk" thrown around a lot, what mmorpgs lack any sort of danger or risk?

idgarad

Novice Member

2/19/14 4:52:22 PM#54
Originally posted by Allein
Depends how much of a sandbox it is. If it's just going to be another quest grinder with instanced dungeons and the usual no-risk gameplay philosophy, I'll pass.

They usually are referring to what the death penalty is. WoW had virtually no penalty to dying. EQ you could de-level and on PvP servers, lose loot. Risk then is "how much does being stupid hurt?"

Time is really the only penalty an MMO can place on a player. Time to make a corpse run, time to earn gold to repair gear, time to wait before respawn, etc.

MMOs are all vying for a player's time so if the penalty is too high, they won't play. Time is the only true commodity in an MMO so they have to find ways to disguise it. Repairs on broken gear because you die is just the time spent gather the gold to pay for those repairs. Losing EXP is time spent getting that EXP back. The question that needs to be answered is "If I screw up 2 hours into a raid, how much time should it take to remedy that as a consequence?"

In Everquest as a sample you had to A: Go get your body  and B:Lose EXP, and C (On PVP) lose gear.

In a worse case scenario your corpse run could take 10-15 minutes, another hour or two to earn back your exp and in the case of C, 10-15 hours depending on what you lost for gear. EQ1 had a really high cost of death. So does Eve Online. A bad death could set you back months, and in a worse case, years of progress.

Aelious

Elite Member

World > Quest Progression

2/19/14 5:47:12 PM#55
Yep, another Trailblazer or equivalent if the AI systems and design shift match what was outlined at Live. Not only because those systems will need a lot of testing but it's something I want to support, no matter if it's SoE or an indie developer.
  Allein

Elite Member

2/20/14 12:51:44 AM#56
Originally posted by idgarad
Originally posted by Allein

They usually are referring to what the death penalty is. WoW had virtually no penalty to dying. EQ you could de-level and on PvP servers, lose loot. Risk then is "how much does being stupid hurt?"

Time is really the only penalty an MMO can place on a player. Time to make a corpse run, time to earn gold to repair gear, time to wait before respawn, etc.

MMOs are all vying for a player's time so if the penalty is too high, they won't play. Time is the only true commodity in an MMO so they have to find ways to disguise it. Repairs on broken gear because you die is just the time spent gather the gold to pay for those repairs. Losing EXP is time spent getting that EXP back. The question that needs to be answered is "If I screw up 2 hours into a raid, how much time should it take to remedy that as a consequence?"

In Everquest as a sample you had to A: Go get your body  and B:Lose EXP, and C (On PVP) lose gear.

In a worse case scenario your corpse run could take 10-15 minutes, another hour or two to earn back your exp and in the case of C, 10-15 hours depending on what you lost for gear. EQ1 had a really high cost of death. So does Eve Online. A bad death could set you back months, and in a worse case, years of progress.

I assume as much, but sometimes it seems like people give older games way too much credit. I remember dying less in EQ/DAoC era because I simply avoided "risky" behavior. Which to me is the opposite of what players should be doing.

If players avoid "danger" and only go in when victories are almost assured, it kind of defeats the purpose of playing an adventure game.

I personally love dying. Penalties and all, but like you said, time is really the only thing lost and I've never accepted the whole time sink = risk, danger, challenge, hardcore view.

I'd rather get out there, take chances, die, and then try again. Should be some consequence beyond a 30 sec loss of time (WoW), but I remember dying on boats in EQ or random areas and just giving up because I couldn't get my corpse back. Players should never feel defeated, they should be games after all.

I'm hoping EQN's procedurally generated content sorts itself out. Made it down to Tier 5, found an awesome rare spawn with a big chest, if the group dies, by the time everyone makes it back down, either the mob is gone or someone else has come by and killed it. Make it all about time without all the veil of "risk" or loss masking what is really going on.

CazNeerg

Novice Member

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

2/20/14 1:51:10 AM#57

If their systems work the way they say they will, Next won't be a themepark or a sandbox, it will be something new and in need of it's own label.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Coated

Hard Core Member

2/20/14 1:55:09 AM#58
What I have seen in Landmark Alpha I am liking. However, a lot depends on what kind of systems they are going to be adding. Since all I have to go on is talk, I have to wait for more information before making that kind of judgement. Undecided for me.
  psiic

Hard Core Member

2/20/14 1:55:45 AM#59

After the nightmare that was the launch of landmark alpha, I will only buy a next package if they make a gesture to those of us who ponied up for the landmark alpha. 

Personally I feel 50% off would be about right.

CazNeerg

Novice Member

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

2/20/14 1:59:47 AM#60
Originally posted by psiic

After the nightmare that was the launch of landmark alpha, I will only buy a next package if they make a gesture to those of us who ponied up for the landmark alpha. 

Personally I feel 50% off would be about right.

Nightmare?  It's an alpha, having claims auto-wiping for a couple of days isn't that big of a deal.  They have been faster, more responsive, and more productive in alpha than any MMO I can think of was at launch.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search