Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,574 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,942
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2015)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

EverQuest Next Forum » General Discussion » EQNext F2P, too pricey?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
59 posts found
  User Deleted
2/14/14 7:43:20 PM#41
Originally posted by CalmOceans
Originally posted by BeansnBread
EQNext and EQNext:Landmark are both F2P at release.

$100 is a weird definition of F2P.

SoE's version of F2P tends to restrict major parts of their games, such as in EQ and EQII.

This one post shows a blatant troll.  EQ2 has no restrictions at all they removed them ALL.   EQ only restricts raid gear and 1k AAs.

And yes i bought the $60 pack best thing I've bought in 10 years MMO wise.

goboygo

Hard Core Member

2/14/14 7:49:41 PM#42
Originally posted by Robokapp
Originally posted by Raven322

Nothing is ever 'free'.

You will pay, or have a lesser experience. Your choice.

So then a lesser experience is free.

yup. guess i'll form my impression of the game based on the lesser impression.

That's pretty much the entire point of the model. You get an impression of the game based on what you have seen for free. You then make a decision about whether to stay for free, leave or drop a few dollars here and there to get a better experience and support the game you like.

If only it was that simple, but its not.  You will always be playing a lesser experience regardless of how much you spend in the cash shop.  In a pure F2P MMO there is always more to buy that makes you level faster, fail your crafting less, boost your stats.  There are no cosmetic items only in F2P MMO's that have no sub option.  The whole game model is designed to annoy you into buying stuff from the cash shop.  Have fun being annoyed.  Ill pass.

Raxxo82

Apprentice Member

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.-Steve Wozniak

2/14/14 8:16:32 PM#43
Theyve said it WILL be ftp at release, not that they wouldnt charge something for the people that wanted to get in first. With that said I was just wondering if you whine when the pizza delivery dude wants dollars for the pizza you ordered aswell?

idgarad

Novice Member

2/19/14 5:53:59 PM#44

Unseen cost to F2P, bans are irrelevant to trolls. New random email, new account, fresh trolling. I still think P2P is a touch better (GW2) as that getting banned is gonna set you back $$ each time.

Allein

Elite Member

2/20/14 1:39:25 AM#45
Originally posted by idgarad

Unseen cost to F2P, bans are irrelevant to trolls. New random email, new account, fresh trolling. I still think P2P is a touch better (GW2) as that getting banned is gonna set you back $$ each time.

"Trolls" are present regardless of whatever the buy-in is. Sure it might help a bit, but if someone is willing to spend the time/effort building an army of accounts, they are probably willing to spend a few bucks to do so if it is a form of entertainment for them.

Not sure how easy it is, but banning IPs would probably be more effective then being non-F2P. The average jackass is probably less likely to go through the trouble of working around that issue, but again, if people really want to, they will find a way.

They've already said they don't want Grieferquest and are planning for such things, but no system is perfect. Can only hope that EQN doesn't make it easy for trolls to cause trouble and better yet, players have some form of self-policing to keep the troll population from breeding.

I wouldn't mind a requirement to spend $5 in the cash shop or X time played before someone can talk in global chats or other social aspects of the game. Nothing too crazy that someone just trying out the game would mind doing, but enough to keep someone from just making account after account.

Octagon7711

Elite Member

Devs please nerf paper it's overpowered I'm rock which is fine scissors are fine.

2/20/14 1:44:30 AM#46
When I first saw those prices I thought they were kinda on the low side.  I've paid a lot more.

Panthien

Novice Member

2/20/14 2:01:56 AM#47
Originally posted by bcbully
Originally posted by Kyleran
It's funny, we used to complain when developers would charge money for incomplete games at launch, (aka a beta) now people pay extra for the privilege of playing early. And are thankful for the "opportunity"

Weird.

Too funny and too true.

it's not like you'll run out of content in EQN:L though lol

Ya know.. we now have people plucking out even more money for a game that hasnt left paper (kickstarters) . You might want to think about that one.

That said Im not against pre-orders, early alpha beta access through  founder packs, preordering, kickstarters, etc etc.

I have zero problem paying for my entertainment, nor do I have any problem what so ever investing in a product I have faith in.

But no I dont find these EQNL packs too expensive and I cant comment about prices for EQN since I simply put dont know them. It all comes down to what do I get for my $$.

CazNeerg

Novice Member

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

2/20/14 2:45:59 AM#48
I think it's a fantastic way to choose alpha and closed beta participants.  You get people into the game while it still has time to change who have already proven they care about it's success.  Honestly, I think all MMOs in the future should operate their alpha and closed beta systems this way.  It results in a better community in every way, and one more interested in helping the game be a quality product.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

amber-r

Advanced Member

2/21/14 3:02:13 PM#49

SoE's version of F2P tends to restrict major parts of their games, such as in EQ and EQII.

People are obviously willing to pay it, if not there is no real loss because it will be f2p at launch.

The plus side is that people willing to pay to play a beta are far less likely to not give it a really good test before saying anything negative.

Honestly I think it's kinda great, most p2p games give players beta access for free and lose sales because of it.  I'm not prepared to pay for it but I appreciate the players that do and I hope they give nice feedback and make the game better for all of us. 

waynejr2

Elite Member

RIP City of Heroes!

2/21/14 3:11:25 PM#50
It's funny, we used to complain when developers would charge money for incomplete games at launch, (aka a beta) now people pay extra for the privilege of playing early. And are thankful for the "opportunity"

Weird.

Yup, sounds like this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

lol

Sephastus

Advanced Member

2/21/14 4:13:45 PM#51
Originally posted by waynejr2

Weird.

lol

If $100.00 gave you a voice on whether or not the NGE was added to SWG, and this was guaranteed to affect the outcome would you have paid it?

This is a game in development, and many of us chose to invest our money early in hopes our voices influence how the game functions upon release. So far, they are largely listening to their players, and there have even been "core" alterations to the game based on player feedback. Even art direction is changing, as their most recent poll about the "pulverizer" shows.

Darknessguy64

Apprentice Member

2/21/14 4:19:25 PM#52
Originally posted by Sephastus
Originally posted by waynejr2

Weird.

lol

If $100.00 gave you a voice on whether or not the NGE was added to SWG, and this was guaranteed to affect the outcome would you have paid it?

This is a game in development, and many of us chose to invest our money early in hopes our voices influence how the game functions upon release. So far, they are largely listening to their players, and there have even been "core" alterations to the game based on player feedback. Even art direction is changing, as their most recent poll about the "pulverizer" shows. 

Guaranteed?

What if you wanted the NGE to happen (just pretend with me here)...would it be guaranteed that you got your wish? The developers are going to do what they want with or without the communities "voice"

timeraider

Novice Member

2/23/14 12:19:57 PM#53

BOOOOOM megafacepalm!

Raunu

Novice Member

2/23/14 12:29:39 PM#54

Why is this even a discussion?  The price mentioned isn't the price of playing the finished product which will be released later this year.  The price is for access to earlier versions of the game, development input and special in game items.

If you don't want to buy those thing, and you still want to play the game. Wait a few months, we've been told by SOE that it will be finished this year and available for free. 

I'm sorry, this is obviously an attempt to troll by the OP. I can't see it being anything else, because I don't think anyone would really be that short sighted.

Edit* Well, either that or just an ill informed poster. There are plenty of those around.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

VincerKaden

Novice Member

2/23/14 12:35:53 PM#55
Originally posted by Raunu

Why is this even a discussion?  The price mentioned isn't the price of playing the finished product which will be released later this year.  The price is for access to earlier versions of the game, development input and special in game items.

If you don't want to buy those thing, and you still want to play the game. Wait a few months, we've been told by SOE that it will be finished this year and available for free. 

I'm sorry, this is obviously an attempt to troll by the OP. I can't see it being anything else, because I don't think anyone would really be that short sighted.

Edit* Well, either that or just an ill informed poster. There are plenty of those around.

This post here pretty much sums it all up. Just read the OP, and then read Raunu's post here. It will save you time.

Spiider

Hard Core Member

2/23/14 12:55:02 PM#56
SNE = Greed. Wasnt that clear since forever?

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

EightBitNinja

Hard Core Member

2/23/14 12:56:05 PM#57

I found this amusing.

User Deleted
2/23/14 1:05:28 PM#58

[...]

How can you ask $100 for a game in beta??

No? Then have a look at Elite Dangerous (which is in alpha state). Anyway, I fully agree. Both is outright insane. Companies should rather pay us for testing their games they later will melk us with, not the other way around! As long we're going to eat that we are guilty as well...

Pednick

Apprentice Member

3/03/14 4:36:14 PM#59
Originally posted by Darwa
That's for Everquest Next: Landmark. There's no price been mentioned for Everquest Next.

Exactly, Everquest Next will be a free client download just like every f2p game, these other one's mentioned are either the land mark or early to beta extra stuff game clients.

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search