Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Neverwinter | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,818,302 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,216,272
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Development  (est.rel 2014)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

EverQuest Next Forum » General Discussion » Will Landmark replace EQ Next?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
44 posts found
  Kyllien

Novice Member

1/14/14 2:35:00 AM#41
Originally posted by adamch29
With all the emphasis that SOE has put on Landmark it makes me think that they are putting off EQ Next. At the very least Landmark may push back release of EQ Next by months if not years. I may just be paranoid or uninformed. Thoughts?

You have your order backwards.   EQN Landmark can't replace EQ Next.  Landmark comes out first.  Do you mean will Landmark preemptively reduce the number of potential players of EQ Next?

Kaneth

Elite Member

1/21/14 11:24:42 PM#42
Originally posted by Silverbarr
Originally posted by SupaAPE
Originally posted by Tibbz
Originally posted by Raxxo82
People seems to think this is two completely different games/titles, its not. Landmark is just the tools being used for eq:next. Its not like they`re making two of everything. What SoE is doing is just letting people have a extremely detailed "trail" run of EQnext and in the process they have their costumers help creating the world. Brilliant! In LM they will also have they longest Alpha/Beta period for EQN, any game ever see (without actually calling it alpha/beta )and enough time to hopefully give EqN the smoothest launch in a long mmorpg time.

^ this.  Let players peak into EQN but offering EQL simultaneously letting them build the world (helping diversify in game looks).  wonderous indeed.  

+1

It's crazy to say, but Sony might actually be on to something with this method. By utilising EQLandmarks launch and development progress/experience a rare smooth MMORPG launch is something that will turn heads their way, especially if they end up having a heavy load of launch day players. Definitely will allow EQNext some prolonged pre-development phase which as everyone should know increases the chances of a well designed and though out game.

I'm looking forward to see what happens as development continues.

I actually think this is an interesting way to make some cash to help fund a game vs. what's been done in the past. We'd normally be asked to buy our way into a beta (pre-order bonus) or asked to pony money up front (like a kickstarter). What we are getting is more of a Minecraft approach (sort of). The founders packs can be used to get into Landmark and help fund the entire project. Then we'll get Landmark as a builder, exploration style game, which doesn't require a ton of made content. All the while, SoE gets to test engine, server structure, UI, etc. 

The two games also have the potential to attract to different audiences. You'll have the builders going nuts making various things to show off, and then you'll have those who just want to play a mmo. Plus everyone in between. Neither game will be perfect (no game ever is), but there is a lot of potential for a very wide market to get hooked into either of the games (or both).

cesmode8

Advanced Member

1/24/14 7:16:47 AM#43

It sort of upsets me a bit that all emphasis is on landmark, which has been very much delayed it seems...but I understand the emphasis on landmark instead of NEXT because its coming out first.

There just seems to be little, very little progress that they share with us in terms of NEXT.  I don't think we'll see NEXT for 1-2 years.  Definately not in 2014.

Kyllien

Novice Member

1/25/14 2:57:56 AM#44
Originally posted by cesmode8

It sort of upsets me a bit that all emphasis is on landmark, which has been very much delayed it seems...but I understand the emphasis on landmark instead of NEXT because its coming out first.

There just seems to be little, very little progress that they share with us in terms of NEXT.  I don't think we'll see NEXT for 1-2 years.  Definately not in 2014.

Landmark is not late yet.  They said this winter which runs until March 20th.  As long as they release it before March 20th they have met thier own deadline.  However, if they need to fix any major bugs then no big deal if it slips a little bit.  Better to have a complete game with few bugs, then an incomplete game with lots of bugs.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search